Should I help this chick hatch or it is ok?

Yinepu.. we're making a difference one cute lil chicka at a time!!!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks to you everyone reading this will have the knowledge to face almost anything that can go wrong in a hatch even if its their 1st! And that just equals more lil lives in this world!!!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
love.gif
that lil chipmunk is just too darn cute!

for nests we use whatever we have on hand at the time.. aspen shavings are my favorite cause they are nice and soft and easy to scoop out a little if a hen decides to make a mess in the box .. but they LOVE to scratch as much of those out of the boxes as they possibly can
i think the girls prefer hay (we use coastal grass hay).. but I find it's harder to keep clean and tends to harbor bugs a bit better .. for some reason we have a few brave spiders that like to hide in the corners of the nest boxes when we use hay.. could be because we get a few grasshoppers in there when its really hot out.. the grasshoppers dont last long when the girls decide to come in to nest (and the spiders dont stand much of a chance either)..

cedar is bad.. so for in the brooder i go through a lot of paper towels... for the bigger chicks I line the bottom of the brooders with old paper feed bags and top those with paper towels too.. i've had a lot of chicks (mostly bantams and silkies) decide to eat paper towels.. i know..not the best food for them lol.. but they will nibble the aspen shavings too if given a chance.. i like the look of shavings better.. but they make more of a mess with them.. i have had a few chicks decide to put their paper towels IN their water and have it wick out a gallon of water into the brooder.. then lay in it (it gets too hot here.. their way of cooling off?... or just being messy chicks).. so i go with ease of cleaning.. which for MOST of the chicks is paper towels.. i think the bantams would make a mess regardess of what I give them.. they are lil mini terrorists just looking for something to destroy

Last edited:
Quote:
Just the 1 rocker left to hatch.. The 3 that were "stuck" in half of the shell because they hadnt been turned will be a bit behind this hatch but lets hope they arent so drama filled when theyre ready for their debut and PLEASE GOD NO MORE ripped yolk sacs please!!!!!!!!! ESPECIALLY in the shell when I dont know theyre in trouble!!! AMEN!
fl.gif

The rest I need to float test.. didnt get around to that today.. also didnt get around to washing my eggs! I bet I have like 6 or 7 dozen in the fridge waiting to be washed and cartoned!! Maybe 8 or 9 lol!

I need like 5 of me!
One to be a housekeeper, one to just be a mama, one to tackle the laundry and cook.. another to be a broody mama hen /slash emergency ceacerian surgeon /slash foot doctor /slash physician! and a 5th that can just sleep for all of us!!!!!
th.gif

Good Morning Ya'll!
frow.gif

lau.gif
we'll have to clone you!

and for the record.. i never get a full night's sleep...I end up waking up and walking the yard with a loaded 22 looking for predators (i have insomnia anyway.. so why not?..)

fl.gif
for the rest of the eggs you have waiting to hatch!

Yesterday I sat down and went through this entire thread! Wow what a roller coaster ride. I even took some notes, as my first few eggs go into lockdown on Thursday!!

I have 8 going into lockdown on Monday...they are shipped eggs with detatched air cells....got mkst of the cells back into the right place, but still worried!!

July 19. 2011 ~ July 26, 2011

~*~ Lil Man ~*~

chickLM3-20110720-00205.jpg

I had no idea he wasnt going to make it :-( My husband found him a few hours after I went to bed.. at least I didn't have to find him.. i just dont get how they can be up and about and eating and drinking~ totally normal one minute then just lying there, dead and gone the next..
hit.gif
I wanted to see him grow up! He was a survivor!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Which one is yours? One of them looks really similar to my newest hatch! Just posted a picture of her :)

KUDOS to YOU! And also to you 1 Rooster! :)

Mine does look like the pic you posted. We have Old English Creole bantams.

Quote:
hmmm.. well i just looked them up online and i do not have one of those so how did I end up with this lil guy?? :) perhaps some of my easter eggers or americanas or aruacanas have that gene? i dunno but theyre both adorable!

Quote:
Oh noooo! I'm so sorry to hear he's passed.
hugs.gif
Sadly, its not uncommon for chicks to die without any obvious signs. With all that he'd been through, you just never know what was going on inside.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom