Should I let my broody 23 wk old pullet sit on a clutch????

mamas will break up the food she find for the chicks. like how they would do in the natural world, before they became domestic birds. my mother hen did all that herself for her baby. and yes i know that they can provide the heat and such themselves. i've had hens raise chicks before. either way, like they did before humans kept them, they find and break up the food for the chicks, therefore, chick food specifically isn't as neccessary when a hen is raising them. infact, when i offered it myself for mine, the momma preffered to go for the bigger food that was out of the chick's reach, and then i watched her break it in her beak for the baby.
What food?
Never give layer feed to chicks. It contains too much calcium for chicks and causes kidney problems. And is not balanced in other ways for chicks for a healthy start.

What food?
Never give layer feed to chicks. It contains too much calcium for chicks and causes kidney problems. And is not balanced in other ways for chicks for a healthy start.
regular feed, fresh veggies, bugs, the chick feed they didn't really touch was also offered, as well as other things the momma found for her.

A LS pullet of mine went broody very soon after she began laying. She hatched her first chicks by about 24 weeks. Four years ago yesterday. She was very reliable.

regular feed, fresh veggies, bugs, the chick feed they didn't really touch was also offered, as well as other things the momma found for her.
Sounds like they were offered too many options.
Boring old chick feed pales in comparison with treats.

What food?
makes absolutely no sense.

In regards to the discussion about feed for the chicks- everyone has a valid point. In the olden days before "chick feed" was invented, mother hens would provide for their chicks- they still do it-'m sure we've all seen this. However, chick food is the way to go since it is far superior to layer feed, because it is specifically designed for chicks.
There will be no bugs and hunting in the garden for my broody and her potential chicks, since it will be December and I'm in Canada, so mine will be getting chick starter.

So far she is a perfect broody. I think she will be the type that sits tight. I think I will have to encourage her to get off and poop and eat. She hasn't done that yet.

So far she is a perfect broody. I think she will be the type that sits tight. I think I will have to encourage her to get off and poop and eat. She hasn't done that yet.
Give her a few days, then prompt her to get up.
I usually only have to do that once.
Since she's isolated it'll be pretty easy to tell if she's been off the nest,
you know the signs.

My BLCM pullet is broody. She is only 23 weeks old, and started laying last month. I'd love to give her some eggs to hatch out. Has anyone ever had a broody pullet that they let sit on eggs?? And if yes, how did she do ??
It is day 2 for her. I was going to put her in a broody pen tomorrow after dark. I figure if she remains happily siting on the golf balls once I move her, then I'll let her try hatching some real eggs.

Thoughts?
Sounds a bit young...I probably would keep tossing her out of nest and not let her sit on anything...she needs to be a bit older..it got warm for a bit but will get cold..she will quit behavior when it gets colder..take all eggs out from under her....next broody cycle she will probably do it in late spring....

I had a fascinating experience with this type of situation. One of the pullets from my 1st 2020 clutch hatched around 4/1. She went broody in September and hatched 6 babies by 9/29. I was genuinely surprised they hatched because her eggs were so small and light I assumed there was nothing in any of them. The mom of the April hatched pullet was on her 3rd clutch by September so she is teaching her daughter as they go. It was a little mind blowing compared to my earlier experiences. I let it play out and it worked out nicely! Good luck!
C3404877-07B0-4372-A5F5-B4167DC4622A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom