Should I let my chickens free-range in a neighborhood?

I don't see much difference between free range chickens roaming the neighborhood and house cats being let outside. Just my two cents.

I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine. I encourage everyone the next time you go see a movie in the theater to wait through the end credits and for the lights to come up. Look around you at all the refuse left behind by other movie-goers who just assume someone else will clean up their mess. They were willing/able and well within their rights to bring it all into the theater with them (assuming they bought it at the concession stand) yet somehow they were unable to clean up after themselves/take it with them to deposit in a trash bin on the way out?
he.gif
I don't know about you, but i'd much rather live next to the guy who threw-away his own popcorn tub and drink cup than the one who didn't.

One may call it basic human decency, being old-fashioned or common sense or even civic duty/pride but I will NOT thoughtlessly burden others with the consequences of my actions. Be it managing my own rubbish at the theater or letting my animals roam the neighborhood (dogs, cat, chickens, whatever). I find it very frustrating that folks can't be more aware of the potential consequences of their actions on others. It seems such a simple thing to do. I mean being able to ask "what if" seems like a pretty key component to us not being monkeys swinging from trees anymore.

I know it seems like everyone else is doing it so i must be okay, right? Well, it doesn't make it okay in my opinion. I think if folks were more accountable for their actions and less burdensome to those around them we'd all be a lot closer to living in a society we could actually be proud of.

At that's just my one cent opinion....i had to pay the other penny to the guy to take down my soapbox so as not to leave it for someone else to deal with.
tongue.png

Really comes down to how said neighbors feel about it. One of my friends offered her yard up as extra free ranging space to her neighbor's chooks. They made a pop hole in the fence and the birds go back and forth. I sure wish she lived next to me!

Usually this is not a good idea, Hens can be very destructive to plants especially potted plants, also your hens are likely to be killed by dogs

Oh, I should clarify a bit.
I'm definitely not going to want the chickens over at their backyard, and if I do see them over there, I'll chase them back on to my property. They have a small child and I know when I was young I was utterly fascinated by farm animals. I don't know if it's the same in modern times however. I should be allowed to keep the chickens near the little stream though, and keep them away from the neighbors, right? ;-;
We do have dogs and cats around the neighborhood, which is also part of the reason I will be outside watching the chickens when they are allowed to roam outside. The thing is that with fences, we actually have to do a lot of paperwork, more paperwork than getting chickens. And there's all sorts of requirements and fees we'd have to pay, etc.

I got four different chicks:
-Australorp
-Speckled Sussex
-Rhode Island Red
-Barred Rock

They're probably around 2 weeks old by now?

It only takes a few seconds for a roaming dog to kill a LOT of chickens. One second you are gazing at the pastoral scene of your hens scratching around in your yard...... The next second a roaming dog (or two) race into your yard and start grabbing up chickens, shaking them like rag dolls and then playing tug-of-war with their bodies....... And you sre running around yelling at the dogs..... And they are ignoring you...

A horrible scenario, but a scenario that is described over and over on this site. A fence is the solution to your problem.

So a fence is necessary?
But even if I do try to get a fence done, it'll take a few months most likely. Could I still let them free range before the fence is built?

Sure you can let them free range:

If your neighbors don't mind if they ruin all their landscaping, poop on their cars, porches/decks, sidewalks or anything else they can fly up on or walk on.

If you don't mind every predator dining on your chickens AND bringing all their buddies back the next day for free buffet.

If you don't mind all of your neighbors mad at you because while free ranging, you got distracted and your hens came visiting.......

If you don't mind your chickens being killed because they crossed the road to see what is on the other side......because that's what chickens do.

GOOD FENCES MAKE GOOD NEIGHBORS

You puttng up a fence makes YOU the good neighbor!

if I do see them over there, I'll chase them back on to my property

They have a small child
1. I think you better be planning to be standing between your chickens and their property line, and chase them back BEFORE they go over there.

2. Those parents are not going to be happy when their small child picks up your chickens' poop and does with it what every small child does with everything...
sickbyc.gif

Honestly, you seem to be planning to ignore all the good advice everybody has been giving you.

You have been given excellent advice on many levels here. I just wanted to add you can easily make a small pen or fence in a small area, making it portable and covering it (Look up "chicken tractors" in the forum titles for ideas. That way your chickens can enjoy the great outdoors in safety and keeping them, you and the neighbors happy.
You asked if they can be trained to come to their names. I'm not sure about that but they can be trained to come. If my chickens are out and I whistle they come running because they know they are going to get treats.
I know others put treats in a can and shake it and the chickens all come, but they will be a lot safer in your yard where you can keep an eye on them.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom