Should I make a safety hole, ADVICE PLEASE

Potato Queenz

Chirping
Sep 28, 2020
So I have two DUCK eggs (lost one) currently that are technically on day 29-30 ish but look like behind a little are are on day 27. Should I make a safety hole or with it hurt them? I can’t see any movement because it’s dark. But if they’re not dead I’m not sure if it’s better to wait a day or make it for them now since they’re behind

Do you have a picture of it candled where we can see the air cell and does it appear internally pipped at all?
It seems at though there’s shadows in it but it doesn’t look exactly pipped or what I think it’s supposed to look like when it is. But I’m not sure I’ve never done this before- and the shadow has been here for maybe a day or two but no progress, and I didn’t want to make a hole because I could still see veins
image.jpg
image.jpg

What has been your set temp and humidity during? Also have you used analog instruments onboard as a second way to accurately check the temp/humidity? Based off of the air cell I would give it another day before making a pinhole. It looks like your humidity and temp may have been a little off which causes a slower development rate.

What has been your set temp and humidity during? Also have you used analog instruments onboard as a second way to accurately check the temp/humidity? Based off of the air cell I would give it another day before making a pinhole. It looks like your humidity and temp may have been a little off which causes a slower development rate.
I had the temp at the 37.5 Celsius or I think whats 99.5 Fahrenheit because that’s what I saw online to put it on. I recently lowered it because I saw you were supposed to lower heat and increase humidity for when they’re supposed to hatch. And I didn’t have a humidity measurement thing so I use the water bar that came in the incubator and but some wet paper towel pieces in it to make the humidity rise. I’m sure it was off the exact humidity level it was supposed to be on but I don’t have the object to measure it. So I guess I’ll wait a day.

What breed of duck are they? Muscovies take 35 days to hatch, Calls around 25 days, and all others around 28 days. They could be a little behind due to temperature variations in the incubator.

You shouldn't make any safety holes unless they have been internally pipped for more than 24 hours. If you don't see the shadow of a bill in the air cell, or hear peeping, then they are not internally pipped yet.

Can you see any kind of movement at the edge of where the shadow and the air cell meet? Of course it's not good to take eggs out so close to expected hatch date, but if they aren't even internally pipped yet then it shouldn't do too much harm to check quickly. You do kind of need to know if they are still alive and ok in there.

What breed of duck are they? Muscovies take 35 days to hatch, Calls around 25 days, and all others around 28 days. They could be a little behind due to temperature variations in the incubator.

You shouldn't make any safety holes unless they have been internally pipped for more than 24 hours. If you don't see the shadow of a bill in the air cell, or hear peeping, then they are not internally pipped yet.

Can you see any kind of movement at the edge of where the shadow and the air cell meet? Of course it's not good to take eggs out so close to expected hatch date, but if they aren't even internally pipped yet then it shouldn't do too much harm to check quickly. You do kind of need to know if they are still alive and ok in there.
I can’t see anything moving in not sure it that’s because it’s too dark or if it’s because they don’t go right up to the edge or if they just passed :(

Back
Top Bottom