Should I make a safety hole, ADVICE PLEASE

I hatched 10 pekin eggs in July without a traditional incubator. Lots of monitoring has been made to make sure everything goes smoothly. I gave all the eggs a safety hole after they have internally pipped, and started making cracks within the shell. Needed to make sure that they don't run out of oxygen as its a bit more challenging hatching without an incubator. Overall.. all went well, and they all hatched :D 🐣

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 9.08.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 9.28.31 AM.png

Attachments

• IMG_9071.jpg
    IMG_9071.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 0
I had the temp at the 37.5 Celsius or I think whats 99.5 Fahrenheit because that’s what I saw online to put it on. I recently lowered it because I saw you were supposed to lower heat and increase humidity for when they’re supposed to hatch. And I didn’t have a humidity measurement thing so I use the water bar that came in the incubator and but some wet paper towel pieces in it to make the humidity rise. I’m sure it was off the exact humidity level it was supposed to be on but I don’t have the object to measure it. So I guess I’ll wait a day.
Normally you don't lower the temp until they start to pip. The reason you lower temperature after they start to pip is because their body heat quickly heats up the incubator, but until then the temperature should remain the same. Since you didn't have any analog instruments onboard I would bet the temp and humidity were off enough to cause slowed development. I would put the temperature back up to 99.5 until the egg pips especially since it appears behind. With a broody duck there is no way for her to have the perfect temperature and humidity. When we incubate we are merely trying to mimick natures process. That being said, I would not rule out your egg hatching just yet it very well could just be delayed:)

Normally you don't lower the temp until they start to pip. The reason you lower temperature after they start to pip is because their body heat quickly heats up the incubator, but until then the temperature should remain the same. Since you didn't have any analog instruments onboard I would bet the temp and humidity were off enough to cause slowed development. I would put the temperature back up to 99.5 until the egg pips especially since it appears behind. With a broody duck there is no way for her to have the perfect temperature and humidity. When we incubate we are merely trying to mimick natures process. That being said, I would not rule out your egg hatching just yet it very well could just be delayed:)
Thank you. I know they probably won’t make it, I’m used to disappointment but it means a lot even with just the slightest bit of hope to grasp onto :)

Back
Top Bottom