Should I open my nesting boxes?

blacklab

Songster
Aug 9, 2020
North Carolina
We have 18 week old Buff Orpingtons and we are wondering if it is time to open the nesting boxes. Are they too young? Is it too near winter - we are in NC, so haven't had much cold and probably won't have hard cold until January. Should we even expect eggs before spring? Not sure if we should start layer feed based on their age or wait until we see an egg. Thoughts??

We have 18 week old Buff Orpingtons and we are wondering if it is time to open the nesting boxes. Are they too young? Is it too near winter - we are in NC, so haven't had much cold and probably won't have hard cold until January. Should we even expect eggs before spring? Not sure if we should start layer feed based on their age or wait until we see an egg. Thoughts??
I wouldn't switch to layer feed. I'd keep them on a complete feed that offers 18-20% protein such as Flock Raiser or All Flock and put out a container or two of oyster shell for free choice feeding.

Someone MAY start laying this year but the shortening day length (not the dropping temps) may prevent them from starting to lay until early spring.

You can open the nest boxes and put some fake eggs in them and see what the girls do. If they start sleeping in them, close them off again. They may fart around in them out of curiosity or to just check them out.

I personally would switch to layers, I find it best for them at that age, though growers works too.

You can also open the nesting boxes, Orpingtons sometimes lay quite early and they will want to practice first. Your decision.

Welcome, by the way!

I would keep them on grower and open the boxes. Once they start laying, I would offer free choice oyster shell. Once all of them are laying, I would either switch to layer feed or keep them on the grower with free choice OS.

Back
Top Bottom