Should I Quarantine Before Giving to Broody?

Jan 9, 2019
Missouri, U.S.
Hi!

I have had a broody silkie sitting on eggs for a while. It was five to start with. One died because it was turned the wrong way. One hatched yesterday. The other two are duds that quit developing.

A bit impulsively, I went and got a couple of chicks from a neighbor with the plan of giving them to the broody in exchange for the bad eggs. The thing I am worried about however is Marek's. I got the vaccine in the mail today and have now vaccinated all three babies. The rest of my flock is vaccinated and I have never had an outbreak. The broody is isolated.

Should I put the two new babies in with the first, or wait two weeks until the vaccination is complete? As far as I know, the neighbor has never had a Marek's outbreak, but I don't want to risk them carrying it to the other chick.

These chicks are a bit older than the first and I would really like to get them in with the mama as soon as I can.

Any advice? Thanks!

Hi!

I have had a broody silkie sitting on eggs for a while. It was five to start with. One died because it was turned the wrong way. One hatched yesterday. The other two are duds that quit developing.

A bit impulsively, I went and got a couple of chicks from a neighbor with the plan of giving them to the broody in exchange for the bad eggs. The thing I am worried about however is Marek's. I got the vaccine in the mail today and have now vaccinated all three babies. The rest of my flock is vaccinated and I have never had an outbreak. The broody is isolated.

Should I put the two new babies in with the first, or wait two weeks until the vaccination is complete? As far as I know, the neighbor has never had a Marek's outbreak, but I don't want to risk them carrying it to the other chick.

These chicks are a bit older than the first and I would really like to get them in with the mama as soon as I can.

Any advice? Thanks!
There is no use in vaccinating chicks that have been hatched by a broody against Marek's as they have already been exposed while hatching.

Only chicks hatched in a previously well disinfected incubator can be vaccinated against Marek's the same day they hatched and then should be kept separately for at least 3-4 weeks, better more to develop resistance.

So the vaccine was pretty pointless? I figured that would be the case with the two I got today but vaccinated anyway.

This is my first time hatching/using a broody, so I have no clue what I am doing...

So, I should just introduce them and cross my fingers?

Back
Top Bottom