Should I return these chickens?

fzouk

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
middle Tennessee
I got some supposedly standard cochin pullets last week. Now, I was dumb to not look in the box and check them over but it was well over 100 degrees and since their box was still cool inside I figured I didn't want to disturb it. Not to mention I drove an hour and a half to meet this guy at noon- well he showed up at 2:00 and I still had an hour and a half drive back with a 2 year old who was in desperate need of a nap. When this guy from a commercial hatchery was 2 hours late I should have just gone home then like I was tempted to but after I CALLED HIM after waiting an hour I figured I'd stay since I REALLY wanted some standard cochins and they are just impossible to find in this area. So obviously I wanted to get back home ASAP... lesson learned.

So I get home and think there's no way these 11 week old chicks are standards because they were sooo tiny, but I thought, well he runs a commercial hatchery and I have never raised cochins or bantam anything before so I thought "what do I know?" I also suspected at least one was a rooster when I specifically got older birds so that I would NOT get a rooster. I saw it immediately and I'm a relative novice- how did the hatchery guy not see that? After posting pictures on BYC it was guessed that they are both roosters.
hmm.png
Plus one of them is sneezy. Now I'm not heartless- they are really adorable but if I wanted bantams I could have gotten colors that I wanted (these are partridge which would have been last on my list since I already have a bunch of brown chickens) and I could have gotten them MUCH closer.

I wrote the guy back and told him everything and how unhappy I was and he wrote back and his whole message was "If you're unhappy I'll give you your money back." That's all! He is unprofessional in every way and the last thing I want to do is pack those poor little guys up again and drive ALL THE WAY back over there to meet him again. Should I do it just to follow through with my email asking that he take care of it? Just suck it up? I do have tons of room in my coop so I could just keep them but part of me just doesn't want that guy to have the satisfaction.

What do you think?

I wouldnt wanna get rid of them either but I also wouldnt wanna give this guy the satisfaction. He's gotta learn his lesson. I say you return them and get the ones you really want.

I would ask for my money back and keep the chickens. Everything happens for a reason. One of those might be the most special little chicken you will ever have. Also, you can probably trade/sell them when they are older.

Just my thoughts....

Last edited:
Tell him "Yes" you would like your money returned. Also inform him the 3hr ride to YOUR house to pick them up will be up to him as it was his mistake. If it was a mistake which I have doubts. Wait and see what happens. If you arent satisfied with his response (which again I doubt you will) then post his name or business up on here and tell everyone what happened. It will get back to him I'm sure lol.

Thanks for your opinions, I really appreciate it! I would have absolutely no problem keeping the little guys because they are so cute and really I have plenty of room, so I think I might take the suggestion to ask for my money back and have him come out to my town if he wants them back. I sort of doubt he'll come for them but that will be up to him.

I really do appreciate you all writing because I was tossing and turning much of the night last night trying to figure out what to do. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom