Should my new baby chicks stay with there mother or go in a box with a heat lamp?

One more thought: I was planning on creating a brooding space for her on the floor of the coop that is only large enough for her to get into. I thought this would help her be safe and be a place where the chicks could hide if they were threatened by one of the big hens. Would this be sufficient?
I don't do anything like that, but a safe haven is a good idea. One thing I would watch for though is do not set it up where the chicks can mingle with the other hens and the broody cannot get to them to protect her chicks. If you do set up a separate area for the hen and chicks, make sure the chicks cannot get through the fence. Chicks can die if the broody cannot get to them to protect them. I had that happen once to one chick. The chick got into a grow-out pen with some 8-week-olds. Mama could not get into that area and the 8-week-olds killed it.

Thanks for the advice. I was planning to have the safe haven spot located inside the coop and large enough that both hen and chicks could fit under it. Since my broody is the smallest hen by far I can make a space that is too small for the other hens but big enough for her to get into with the chicks.

My chicks just hatched, and I was confused if I should use a heat lamp. We have two broody hens and they've pretty much done everything so far, so just to make sure, they'll keep the chicks warm without a heat lamp entirely?

We also have seven chicks from a hen. The other hens/rooster have been ok with them but our 12 week old Australian shepherd seems to be intrigued by them. The chicks are free range during the day with their mom. Will the mom protect them from the puppy if he tries to go after them? Should I put the chickens in a seperate area?

Hi all! :) Zylstra, I used to have an Aussie/ Cattle dog mix.... I've simplified to a Lab & a Golden. I think depends on your dog. My Aussie was insane, she had such intense prey drive, there is no way she would have co existed with poultry. My Retrievers, on the other hand, are so mellow, the help me herd up my free ranging ducks and they do chores along side me. The biggest issue I face is my Lab is insanely jealous of my ducks splashing puddles! Lol

I was checking out this thread because I have a 3 day old Pekin x Khaki Campbell (black in color, looks like may develop a white bib, black feet, black & pink bill!) :rolleyes: It is with its mom, but I can already tell that this new duckling probly won't be as friendly as my adult ducks, which I hand raised. There is excellent advice here.

My question is about managing separate clutches about the same age. Since its been fairly warm here, I have housed my 2 laying ducks (and now the one and only baby) seperate from the rest of the flock. The area is appx 8 feet x 4 feet, with each duck having a 4x4 area to herself, separated from each other. I'm expecting my 2nd clutch after next Sunday. So after the requisite 4 days with mom, can I then give all the ducklings to just one duck to raise, and return the 2nd mom to the flock? Oh yes, this next clutch will be Khaki Campbell x Pekin or Campbell x Campbell...

Thanks!
Holly

Great info. I got two eggs hatching next monday. Candled them and see the little chicks already moving. I plan on leaving them with the flock of all Seramas . Thanks Thomas

I just had my 1st 2 chicks hatch over the weekend. I let one of my hens do her thing and I got 2 hatch out of 5 eggs. I am letting momma hen be a momma. My qustions are: Do i still put out chickstarter in the coop for her and babies, even though everyone else will eat it as well?
2nd.... Should I put a waterer closer to her nesting box for the chicks so they don't have to go as far to drink? The waterer is out in the main coop and the nesting boxes are in a smaller room with the roosts. And there is about a 6" lip the chickens have to jump up to get in and out of the roost/nesting room. My guess is I have to put food and water closer.
This is my 1st time having chicks! It's so exciting!

I have 2 broody hens. We've tried EVERYTHING to snap them out of it. I thought we were successful, it turned out that was short-lived (maybe 2 days!).

So I am ordering some eggs for them to hatch. One nests on a high box, the other on the ground. They are in a flock of 20 that free ranges during the day, but I close them in for safety after they go into the coop for the night.

Do any of you have suggestions on how best to protect the hatchlings, and how do I help the higher up hen hatch eggs??

Since I had no reply, and no luck unbroodying (is that a word?)my broodies, I bought a set of >week old chicks. The feed store suggested I wait until dark and set them under the mom. Said it was possible she'd take them in daylight. That was a big NO. She tried to peck one, so I'm waiting. They are in a puppy crate with a heat lamp and food and water. I need to build a pen for everyone. I have 2 × 4s and chicken wire. Any suggestions?

Since I had no reply, and no luck unbroodying (is that a word?)my broodies, I bought a set of >week old chicks. The feed store suggested I wait until dark and set them under the mom. Said it was possible she'd take them in daylight. That was a big NO. She tried to peck one, so I'm waiting. They are in a puppy crate with a heat lamp and food and water. I need to build a pen for everyone. I have 2 × 4s and chicken wire. Any suggestions?
Not all broodies will foster chicks. If she's a proven broody - that is, has successfully raised chicks - she's more likely to accept them. When fostering chicks to a broody, the hen should be broody for at least two weeks, and the chicks should be no more than a day old. If the chicks are older than 1-2 days old, they may be afraid of her rather than imprint on her.

Last year I tried to foster day-old hatchery chicks to a buff orpington that had been broody for two weeks. Unfortunately, she attacked the chicks so I had to brood them myself. She was so focused on defending her eggs that she viewed the little chicks as intruders and tried to kill them.

Day-old chicks should be put under or right next to the broody hen at night. Be sure to chick them at first light in the morning to see if she has accepted them. If she has, she'll be clucking to them and letting them shelter under her wings. If she does not accept them, she'll either kill them (or attempt to kill them) or ignore them.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I'm starting to think I'll have to raise these cuties. Right now they are in a smaller puppy crate with a heat lamp. I'm getting a bigger one from my parents' house to see if I can put the broody in there and introduce them at night. The chicks are watching my free rangers. I had one come up to their door and cluck at them (it was a sweet clucking...not sure how to describe it). It was much nicer than the broody's reaction when I put one near her.

If things don't go well. I'll continue with the smaller crate and lamp. I'll make a tiny run for them with Chicken wire for the day, and lock them up tightly at night. We have a nasty raccoon around.
I'm tempted to put the crate in the coop with the lamp just to keep them safe. I'm just afraid one of the hens will knock it overand starta fire.

Ugh...babies!
1f609.png

Back
Top Bottom