Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

I do that as well. Two waterers in different locations in the brooder.

After the first couple of days, and I am certain that the chicks know where to get their water, I will start putting it on small pieces of wood just enough to get it up and off the litter and keep it a bit more cleaner. As the chicks grow, I put the waterers on higher blocks. By the end of 8 weeks, I usually have the waterer sitting on a piece of 2X6 laid flat.

I have no experience with brooder plates. My chicks always seem to find the heat under the heat lamps. That's about the extent of what I know.

We have all heard about fires caused by heat lamps falling into the litter. Those are real horror stories, to be sure. But there are many stories about these newer plates and heating tents that fail and chicks dying from the cold before you know about the malfunction.

It takes me no time to ensure that my heat lamps are working, and I can see the status of all the chicks in the brooder under the lights. There is nothing obstructing my view of the chicks.

:old I am not saying the heat lamp is the best system, but it is what I have used for over 30+ years and it works for me.
I did a ton of research before making any decision. Researching heat lamps vs. brooder plates, researching the different brands and models of brooder plates, etc. I'm also able to check on the chicks a lot throughout the day, and I always double check the brooder plate.
Each option has its own risks and rewards, and my research and situation pointed me to the brooder plate.

Each option has its own risks and rewards, and my research and situation pointed me to the brooder plate.

:old I am just stuck on my old methods, and I am not saying it's the best system, either. If I was just starting out, I probably would have chosen something else for my brooder setup today. None of those brooder plate or brooding tent options existed when I started with chicks 30+ years ago. At least, not that I was aware of.

Back
Top Bottom