Show me your quail pens!!!

Pics
I'm going to be getting Guinea fowl in the late spring...I'm looking at quail too wondering if anyone has a breed they now of that I should get? What kinds of feed should I give them? Does there coop need to be a certain size or not?
Thanks
Ethan

Can anyone tell me if quail need nesting boxes like chickens? If so how big should I make them if I get Coturnix Quail (Sp?) 

Sometimes they use them, mine make their own nest where they want.
Once one lays the others use it. At the moment the ones in my garden pen are laying under a log and in a hole under a poppy plant. The main pen they have a nest they made on their own under the ramp and one in the far back corner.
The quails in the wire base pens have flower pots and they lay in those without fail.

I have seen other hens just drop the egg where they stand but its very rare in my flock.

Nice set up BTW! I have those exact cups. They learn to use them faster than chickens, guess they are smarter than we give them credit for.

These cups will never be full of water! They are not meant to work that way! There is no float valve in them. The bird triggers the yellow valve and drinks just the amount of water it wants only leaving a drop or two. The next bird will trigger it again and drinks just as much as it wants without extra staying in the cup. The valve only lets water into the cup if a bird is triggering it. Understand? If the cup is full it is malfunctioning! Don't waste time switching them out, I assure you your quail are getting the water they need.
smile.png

I've used these cups for my quail for two years now and they are fantastic! The only problem I ever had was when a piece of their bedding got stuck in the valve and the water dripped out for hours until I noticed. It was a mess, but I cleaned the valve and cup and it's been working perfectly since. Make sure the cups are just high enough that they have to stretch just a bit to reach into it, that way they aren't stepping in them or throwing stuff into them.

Where did you buy the watering cups. I am sure I can find them just thought might know where that has the best price. I have water nipples now but they tend to leak. The cups look like the way to go.

Here's my Quail coop that I finally finished today. Complete with poop tray. Debating a sunroof for them since they'll be in the garage over winter.
I've got 30 eggs in the bator and 4x 2wk old chicks. If the coop gets to cramped, I'll be making lower levels.

Back
Top Bottom