Show off your Black Australorp

Pics

Astrid my Black Austrolorp Pullet.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have a question... My Black Australorps are nearly 7 weeks old, and their plumage is starting to take on that slight green tint already. Is this typical of BA's? When I got the two girls, (at a week old) they were mistaken for Barred Plymouth Rocks, which was what I was after, however these guys were practically jet black after about 2 weeks time, (their under bellies were lighter in colour as well as under their chin and down the neck) I guess I am just making sure that they are Black Australorps to begin with. I will get some current pics up today.

The gent I got them from had the two breeds in the same brooder, with some black polish. His breeds are pure breeds, so he stated them being BA's was the only other bird they could be. (However, I am one of those skeptical types and am wondering if they couldn't possibly be Black Stars. (Have not noticed any typical redding on the necks yet)

Last edited:
I recently got 17 BA in May, and they looked just like that. I'd say they're BAs, can you pick one up and see if the under side of its foot is a light pinkish white color?

I recently got 17 BA in May, and they looked just like that. I'd say they're BAs, can you pick one up and see if the under side of its foot is a light pinkish white color?
Yes, they are... from about the middle of the foot out to the toes, back from that is greyish-black... the further you go to the back of the foot to the leg it gets a darker black (light black/grey).

I know that once the pullets start laying, that their feet and legs will lighten quite a bit, but these guys are just 7 weeks now. =) I was holding one today, and they are certainly so pretty! Love them to bits!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom