Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

will be hatching some dels next month. none of these will be for sale but will be raised to adult here. after culling should end up with a couple breeder hens for next spring.
You have Whitmore (?) birds don't you? Seems like I saw a pic or 2 of your birds and they were very nice looking. You should hatch some extras to share!! ......stan

You have Whitmore (?) birds don't you? Seems like I saw a pic or 2 of your birds and they were very nice looking. You should hatch some extras to share!! ......stan

i will share some chicks next spring at the gilmanor sale in glenn allen va. i think the wait will be worthwhile, we started with 3 different strains of heritage delaware; beth holmes, paul harter, and whitmore. i may order some sandhill preservation delawares to see how they compare or to see if i can use a few hens in our breeding program but might just stick with what we have. we did try another strain that i won't mention but they didn't work out. i need to take a pic of my holmes/harter rooster, now. he is pretty awesome with a nice teepee tail, good color and size.

I'm not even gonna try to read 1,188 pages of Delaware info... though I want to see the pics. Putting this here so I can find the thread again without going through all that other stuff.

I have Delawares from Sandhill. They are 4 months old now and I'll be trying to select which to keep. They are only a meat project but I want to have the best that I can and so will be consulting the SOP.

I'll try to take pictures soon to upload and see what y'all think. I'll be looking for advice on which are the best ones.

I wonder if it is the small pen and being isolated that is making him worse. I bought a "chicken condo" from a former poultry shower/breeder who got out of the hobby. It is a series of 4'X4' pens. I didn't plan space for extra cockerels when I built my chicken house, so I thought this would be a nice addition. It has 16 4'X4' X 7' high pens. I thought those would be perfect for individual cockerels. But they are all by themselves in each unit with nothing to do. I feel kinda bad about that, but if you want to breed chickens, what can you do? I can't free range, too many predators. And if you are a serious breeder, you need to keep some extra males and they usually don't get along. I had two of my Spangled Russian Orloffs, just a year old, in one of those pens together. They got along great and sat side by side up on the perch. Well the one was a splash, very very beautiful bird, but I knew I wasn't going to use him for breeding and a fellow offered me $30----so I sold him. I have noticed the remaining cockerel seems a bit more, on edge? since his buddy left. And I don't see him up on the perch anymore. It is a very high perch, the guy who built this unit raised Old English Game, they could fly straight up. But I knew these Orloffs could, too, since they were always up there together, but now the single one stays on the ground. I just wonder ifif being by themselves is taking a toll, psychologically. Maybe there is another thread on BYC, does anybody have a link, where this sort of thing is discussed. How to maintain extra cockerels that is. Anyway, I am not sure I should keep this Delaware. He is the only male I kept, but look at his comb. Is this a stupid comb? Surely this must be a disqualifying fault. Someone who knows, please tell me. I will look it up in my SOP and see if I can find pics that look like this. Is this like a carnation comb, only in the front instead of the back? I have been thinking about getting a different bloodline, but can't even fathom raising new birds until this fall when we are out of the heat here. But if someone has a NICE Delaware cockerel with a GOOD attitude that you want to part with, PM me! Here is the culprit who tried to bite me: Ignore the bad points, that was from a Marans cockerel who decided he didn't want to be the Delaware's buddy anymore.
My Andalusian boys are ALL in 4x4 pens plus they have an attached outside yard that is probably 6x6. They can see all the girls and they can see each other outside. The can see each other when they're on their perches but they can't reach each other. Chickens are flock critters and solitary confinement goes completely against everything that they are. If they can see other birds they should be fine but if they can't, in my experience, I believe you're asking for trouble.

Hey folks, I'm looking for Delawares in GA/SC. They don't need to be particularly great strains, I'm just hoping to avoid ordering from hatcheries. I don't have the resources/supplies to hatch my own but would happily buy chicks, juveniles or adults in the southeast.

Back
Top Bottom