Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

They are the most calm and gentle birds ever besides my Heritage Reds. But the Delawares are even way more friendly. They all follow me around the whole time I am in the area.
My rooster even asks to be picked up and held, for crying out loud. He's the only one ever, too, out of all my breeds I've ever owned. Such an amazingly gentle boy. He's just a love, my best buddy. I'm dreading losing Isaac and he's about to turn 5 years old soon.

Ellie is the best of the Delaware, sweet and friendly without being a royal pain...and I do mean a pain because Georgie will bite the fire out of you if you refuse to pick her up when she demands it. She's a trip hazard, too. Ellie just scratches your shoe with her foot if she wants attention. I couldn't have an entire flock of Georgies!

My rooster even asks to be picked up and held, for crying out loud. He's the only one ever, too, out of all my breeds I've ever owned. Such an amazingly gentle boy. He's just a love, my best buddy. I'm dreading losing Isaac and he's about to turn 5 years old soon.

Ellie is the best of the Delaware, sweet and friendly without being a royal pain...and I do mean a pain because Georgie will bite the fire out of you if you refuse to pick her up when she demands it. She's a trip hazard, too. Ellie just scratches your shoe with her foot if she wants attention. I couldn't have an entire flock of Georgies!
My cockerels are friendly to a point. No way near like my hens. The one I'm going to use as a breeder bird he tap dances around me when I come in. Then goes in the hen house and lays down and start to cluck. Like he wants me to come in and lay an egg.
lau.gif

These are my 2 cockerels I kept for my breeders. There 6 1/2 months old.

This one is going to be my main one:

This one is the backup:

Here is one hen. The rest were laying or off some where. LOL

I would love love love a few delaware eggs for my brinsea mini incubator. I've been eyeing up delawares for a few years now. Lots of handsome roos on this thread.

I think those are from Paul Harter, if I'm not mistaken, aren't they? They look good! The rooster has a decent shape/size chest and color and comb.

Isaac is looking older now. Every time he molts, he grows in a tail feather that has faded to white on at least part of it, like turning gray, lol. Who has an old Delaware rooster? I've not heard of an old one, which worries me some. I'd like to have Ike for awhile to come, he's such a great rooster. What I love about his line is that he doesn't yellow like some do. Some are just genetically predisposed to turn yellow, even without sun or excessive corn consumption, but not Ike. They do, however, look dirty when they dustbathe in our red Georgia clay. Ellie is always the quintessential "Dirty Delaware".

Last edited:
I think those are from Paul Harter, if I'm not mistaken, aren't they? They look good! The rooster has a decent shape/size chest and color and comb.

Isaac is looking older now. Every time he molts, he grows in a tail feather that has faded to white on at least part of it, like turning gray, lol. Who has an old Delaware rooster? I've not heard of an old one, which worries me some. I'd like to have Ike for awhile to come, he's such a great rooster. What I love about his line is that he doesn't yellow like some do. Some are just genetically predisposed to turn yellow, even without sun or excessive corn consumption, but not Ike. They do, however, look dirty when they dustbathe in our red Georgia clay. Ellie is always the quintessential "Dirty Delaware".

I culled one at 3 1/2 years old to make room for Kathy's line which I now have. He was getting more and more white in his tail feathers as well.

Back
Top Bottom