Show off your house ducks!

This Is Pracilla, she lives indoors due to some type of neurological disorder, my vets don't know what it is, I have read studies about her breed and they tend to have a mass of fat on top of their head that in some cases affect brain growth in different parts of the brain, most of the time it messes with motor skills. With Prissy, she is pretty clumsy and sometimes loses balace and flips on her back, unable to right herself. She also holds her head way differently than a normal duck, it's like a cork screw, but it doesn't cause her any pain. I treated her for wry neck at a very young age but she continued to grow like that no matter what I tried. She is such a sweet and precious addition to my household.
I love her!!! She's so perfect!!

This Is Pracilla, she lives indoors due to some type of neurological disorder, my vets don't know what it is, I have read studies about her breed and they tend to have a mass of fat on top of their head that in some cases affect brain growth in different parts of the brain, most of the time it messes with motor skills. With Prissy, she is pretty clumsy and sometimes loses balace and flips on her back, unable to right herself. She also holds her head way differently than a normal duck, it's like a cork screw, but it doesn't cause her any pain. I treated her for wry neck at a very young age but she continued to grow like that no matter what I tried. She is such a sweet and precious addition to my household.
Wow! She is beautiful!

These are our 2 little lovelies! Both are most likely females but our toddler sons named them "Turbo" & "Joey". We don't know how old they are but we "guestemate" maybe 5 weeks old. They are Pekins and have been the best addition to our little family!!!
We are still getting the hang of being new duckling parents as our previous ducks we had were 2 adult female Mallards (who flew away when they learned they could )): I've been researching "keeping ducks inside as house pets" and I haven't found any serious reason why you shouldn't. I'm still keeping the idea in mind that they may or may not be good house pets, however if I don't find any serious reasons why you "shouldn't", they will be house members rather than back yard ones.
Of course I plan on letting them outback all summer long as long as we (the humans) are outside with them, but I don't believe they should be confined to out side or inside all the time. I'd like them to have BOTH! :) anyone care to way in on your experiences either way? I'm always open to your advise!!

These are our 2 little lovelies! Both are most likely females but our toddler sons named them "Turbo" & "Joey". We don't know how old they are but we "guestemate" maybe 5 weeks old. They are Pekins and have been the best addition to our little family!!!
We are still getting the hang of being new duckling parents as our previous ducks we had were 2 adult female Mallards (who flew away when they learned they could )): I've been researching "keeping ducks inside as house pets" and I haven't found any serious reason why you shouldn't. I'm still keeping the idea in mind that they may or may not be good house pets, however if I don't find any serious reasons why you "shouldn't", they will be house members rather than back yard ones.
Of course I plan on letting them outback all summer long as long as we (the humans) are outside with them, but I don't believe they should be confined to out side or inside all the time. I'd like them to have BOTH! :) anyone care to way in on your experiences either way? I'm always open to your advise!!
I believe if you want your ducks to live inside and you can keep up with it, then It's all up to you!! I see nothing at all wrong with it. Your lil ones are adorable.

They are so cute! And I love their names lol.
As for two house ducks - I think it would be doable. I'm pretty sure that @nettie keeps more than one indoor duck - maybe three or four (Or five,
hu.gif
). I think she built an indoor enclosure for them, with a 'run' and then a sort of wooden, square cave that they could go into? I might be thinking of someone else, but I'm almost positive on this. So if nettie is indeed who I am talking about, she may be able to give you advice on caring for more than one indoor duck. I think that you'd just have to adjust your lifestyle a bit, but honestly, this seems better than having just one indoor duck, because two ducks can keep each other company when humans are away
wink.png

I got my original two and were indoor ducks the whole year before we had to move. Its work but essentially no different than toddlers. You change the diapers they sometimes throw fits (our drake was a brat sometimes but i miss him dearly) but overall i loved them better than anything else. They get attached and would follow me into every room i was in. Ill post a link to the best indoor playpen for them.. Its a puppy play pen but the biggest one i could find and the bottom zippers instead of just velcro. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013OW19QO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its big enough for my 4 adult ducks and me lol!
1f602.png
theres some really great women on here who make awesome duck diapers and costumes and its really fun.. They shed a lot of feathers but its easy clean up
1f600.png
1f600.png
enjoy your little cuties and I look forward to many more pics of them!

I'm from Somerset, PA. Is there a way to find out who else out there might have House ducks near me? I'd like to reach out and maybe have a chance to make some new friends with the same likes as me!

Here are my precious Pekin babies, Quacker and Beaker. They are my first ducks, and just my darlings. They're in their teenage stage right now, and have just shot up like a weed since I took these pictures. I've been looking up diapers for them, because I've kind of spoiled them and let them have run of the house (thankfully we have hard wood floors so clean up is somewhat easy), but they are running me absolutely ragged cleaning up after them. It's a full time job, and then some. Do the diapers really work well? Do they have to be cleaned EVERY time they potty? Because my little boogers are set on a 3 minute schedule it feels and that still wouldn't give me much relief. Which ones are best? I never thought I would be so attached to ducks, and the thought of them going outside kind of breaks my heart now.
hu.gif
How do y'all keep it together???

Back
Top Bottom