Show off your house ducks!

Can anyone give me an approximate age on my ducks? The last picture I posted is the most recent of them. Since this is my first time having them, I don't really have an estimate.. They're getting their white feathers, but still SUPER fluffy. I'm trying to follow along with the treat list, and don't want to give them anything they can't handle. Right now they LOVE their mashed bananas. lol. Not so fond of peas though....Thanks!
Last spring I chronicled my last brood. I included many pictures and weights. One of that brood was a Pekin. Maybe between pictures and weight you can get a good idea. I tracked their weights and took pictures all the way up to fully feathered (Pekin at 6+ lbs) She is over a year old now and weighs in around 10 lbs. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1085992/the-brooding-of-allie-casey-and-latte

Hi everybody I am new to this forum my name is Alyssa and I'm from Minnesota and I have a question about ducks I have 6 baby duck that are going to hatch on the 3rd of April and are being mailed to me and each duckling is going to become a pet for me and my boyfriend and our 4 children. What do I need to know about having them as pets? We have to Jumbo Pekin and black Swedish we are very excited we have a baby starter kit that has feed and the baby diaper harnesses which diaper harnesses would you guys recommend after they are bigger or even now?

One of Pekins haa develop a little bit of a stuffy nose, and small sneeze. What does everyone recommend? Should I give the Sav a Chic at tsc? So far I see no snot, and she seems to still be feeling okay. Is it possible it could be allergies, and from the high pollen count here in Georgia? Thanks

One of Pekins haa develop a little bit of a stuffy nose, and small sneeze. What does everyone recommend? Should I give the Sav a Chic at tsc? So far I see no snot, and she seems to still be feeling okay. Is it possible it could be allergies, and from the high pollen count here in Georgia? Thanks
Do they have a head washer they can use frequently? It may just be some dust in the nares - but without being able to clean them out with water, there is a risk of infection - sinus, eye, ear, even respiratory - and that gets serious.

I believe so, they always get clean water when fed, they have a pool outside in their pen, but I also give them baths inside too. She breathes through her mouth sometimes too. I've checked her nares, and can see through them. It really worries me, but not sure what to do? They stay inside at night. She's laying beside me now, and I can hear her breathe. :/

I forgot to mention she also has very runny, stinky poop sometimes, which leads me to believe I need to give her something. I don't know of any vet near by that deals with birds. Is there anything online that someone can recommend?

Make sure they always have access to water deep enough to dunk their heads they are always noodling around in stuff and get things stuck. So head and nare washing is a priority.And Pollen could be the culprit.

I'd def get some Save a Chic sure cant hurt especially with Pekin being prone to leg problems anyway if not given a good amount of niacin in their diets. As for the mouth breathing evidently this is pretty common with Pekins so it may not be anything to worry about but I would still keep a close eye on her, how she is eating drinking and acting with her sibs.
what are the temps in their brooder? How old are they? @weedeater8

And let us know how she is doing.

So far she's acting fine.... They're taking their bath now, and she's fairly active; dipping her head and playing. They're definitely over a month old. They've really started to feather out now, so during the day they go outside in their play pen when it warms up. It's been getting up into the high 70's. They also have a pool out there that they can get into to play. They always get brought back inside at night. She's interacting fine with her buddy, and he is displaying no kind of symptoms. These are my first ducks, so I don't know if I'm being overly paranoid or if it's justified. I'll definitely get the packets since it won't hurt them! I'll feel better about it, I feel a little helpless right now.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom