Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

Look at the breasts. Salmon on these birds means pullet. Black means roo.
Note taken, and thanks for the tip! I'm hoping #3's breast stays light... Anybody want a box of free cockerels in a few weeks?
fl.gif
LOL

Last edited:
That was what I got with my Creles...
gig.gif
I'd still have them all if the fox hadn't gotten Thelma.
sad.png

But I can't remember if you can keep cockerels.
hu.gif

I'm looking for pics of my Creles. They were 3 weeks when I got them.

Ok...in the corner the three farthest to the left are 3 Crele males. They have the white speckles on their wings.
On the right across from them is a Crele female. She's brown with the eye liner and basic wings without the white speckling.

In the above pic the little brown girl looking at us is a Crele, to her left is the black and white Crele (must have gotten crossed with a Silver Duckwing) and the ones behind him with the lighter bodies and wing speckles are the Crele boys. If I wasn't pressed for time I'd label.

@wickedchicken6

Thanks for sharing that. That confirms I have at least 3 male crele. I'm going to need to post pics next week of the ones that I'm unsure whether they are female Crele, Spangled, or other (BBR,etc). I suspect a shot from above, one of the face markings, and one of the breast for each would be most helpful.

@wickedchicken6

Thanks for sharing that. That confirms I have at least 3 male crele. I'm going to need to post pics next week of the ones that I'm unsure whether they are female Crele, Spangled, or other (BBR,etc). I suspect a shot from above, one of the face markings, and one of the breast for each would be most helpful.

In Crele types, hens only get one barred gene, while males get two. That accounts for the difference you see, and why they're so easily sexed at hatching.

Here's my Creles a bit older, 4-6 weeks

Females on left, males right at 6 months of age.

Here's Flash as a chick and him full grown in October.

Mr Flash at 2 months; far left front

Mr Flash in October.

Mr . Flash is a bit of an anomaly so I thought I'd post what he looked like in case it helps anyone.

In Crele types, hens only get one barred gene, while males get two. That accounts for the difference you see, and why they're so easily sexed at hatching.

Sure same as barred rocks, etc. However from what I've seen and read the ability to sex at hatch has little to do with barring width and is simply because the males ("80%") are lighter and have a head shot while females have the common chipmunk pattern.

I did have four chipmunk patterned chicks die and since I didn't mark them I don't know if any or all were my Crele females, spangled, or something from my assorted batch.

Back
Top Bottom