Show off your roosters

I
Here is my rooster - King. He's a "mutt" - but I'd love to know if any of you see any particular breed in him. I suspect barred rock and Americauna? I bought him after a raccoon got 6 of my pullets and my 4 mo old Orloff rooster :mad: But, King is an amazing rooster... very good with us humans, and a super great "man of the house". And he's huge. (hence the name "King") I bought some more babies in June from the same lady I bought this rooster from... she did her best to sex them, but we ended up with at least one rooster. They are 9 weeks old... I have them in a "grower pen" inside the "big chicken" coop... I will keep them separated for a few more weeks, but, I'm not sure what to do with this baby rooster... I'm afraid King will kill him when I put them all together. I've asked the lady to trade me (that was the original agreement, she'd trade any roosters for a pullet/hen) but she hasn't replied to any of my emails. Anyway... King is almost a year old, and this baby - what do you think? They currently have about 50 x 50 ft yard with a 12 x 12 covered "house/coop". I'm thinking that's not enough space for 2 roosters - Thanks all! And I LOVE looking at pics of the roos!
. He's beautiful whatever he is!!!!

This is a first Generation Cross Roo...Buff Orp Roo over Barred Rock Hens...They came out sex linked.

This is one of the 2nd Generation Crosses...from the Roo above over the 1st Generation hens of the same breeding...non-sex-linked.

This is the other 2nd Generation Cross Roo...same mixture as above.

This is one of my daughter's Standard Golden Laced Cochin Roos...she has 3 of them!

Here is my rooster - King. He's a "mutt" - but I'd love to know if any of you see any particular breed in him. I suspect barred rock and Americauna? I bought him after a raccoon got 6 of my pullets and my 4 mo old Orloff rooster
somad.gif

But, King is an amazing rooster... very good with us humans, and a super great "man of the house". And he's huge. (hence the name "King")

I bought some more babies in June from the same lady I bought this rooster from... she did her best to sex them, but we ended up with at least one rooster. They are 9 weeks old... I have them in a "grower pen" inside the "big chicken" coop... I will keep them separated for a few more weeks, but, I'm not sure what to do with this baby rooster... I'm afraid King will kill him when I put them all together. I've asked the lady to trade me (that was the original agreement, she'd trade any roosters for a pullet/hen) but she hasn't replied to any of my emails. Anyway... King is almost a year old, and this baby - what do you think? They currently have about 50 x 50 ft yard with a 12 x 12 covered "house/coop". I'm thinking that's not enough space for 2 roosters - Thanks all! And I LOVE looking at pics of the roos!
That is plenty of room for 2 roosters if you have enough ladies that they are not overbreeding them. I have 3 roosters in with 15 hens in about the same size area. I would wait a couple of more weeks, then if you are able, put the young ones in a separate area within or next to the run with your current flock so that they can see each other and get used to each other for a week or two. If you are able, start by letting them range together during the day for a little bit and just watch them closely at first. Try to have some hiding areas for the young ones. Hens are often worse than roosters when adding new young ones. There will be some sparring at first as they nail down the pecking order. Be prepared for it and only intervene if it gets severe. A little blood from the comb or wattles is to be expected. The faster you let them work things out their way, the faster you will have a peaceful chicken yard with 2 roosters.

I'm gonna stop posting pics of my Roos... I got the worst luck :( everytime I post them on BYC within a day their either injured or dead! STP now has a serious gash to the back of his neck it's all the way down to the meat... Don't know how he got it but he won't let anything stay on to cover it!! Grrrr

Thank you KYTinpusher! I have 5 newly laying hens with King, and will have 5 pullets with the new rooster... I do have them together but separated, (a small pen inside the big pen) and we let 1 baby out last week and she got pecked on. It's my daughter's fave so she didn't let much happen. I will take your advice.. Thank you!

And I'm sorry uglychickens about your roosters - I hope your rooster with the gash makes it... I know how loved these roosters can be! Good Luck!

I'm gonna stop posting pics of my Roos... I got the worst luck :( everytime I post them on BYC within a day their either injured or dead! STP now has a serious gash to the back of his neck it's all the way down to the meat... Don't know how he got it but he won't let anything stay on to cover it!! Grrrr
Omg!! I'm so sorry. I too adore my boys and would be heartbroken. When my hen had an infected ear I used raw honey, oregano oil, and garlic and made a poultice. I would just rub it on. It should keep infection away and help it heal quickly. I just look at the pics now cause no one ever comments on my pics lol

Back
Top Bottom