Show off your roosters

It has been illegal in the netherlands at least since 2008.Also illegal in Belgium and Germany but don't know from when. What is illegal is the act of caponizing not the sale of caponized chickens. Therefore you can still get capon de bresse on the market for example, obviously imported from countries where it is still legal.
European countries have made a lot of progress on animal welfare protection. For example clipping puppy's ear is now illegal almost across EU.
How about tail docking?

Last edited:
Tail docking has been banned in at least 22 EU members
thumbsup.gif
why are we so far behind??

It has been illegal in the netherlands at least since 2008.Also illegal in Belgium and Germany but don't know from when. What is illegal is the act of caponizing not the sale of caponized chickens. Therefore you can still get capon de bresse on the market for example, obviously imported from countries where it is still legal.
European countries have made a lot of progress on animal welfare protection. For example clipping puppy's ear is now illegal almost across EU.

Meat birds are not the same as puppies. Most food animals (cows, pigs...)are neutered to make them grow and be docile and make the meat taste better/more tender. We also have neuter/spay drives to get cats & dogs fixed to keep them from over producing. I guess the difference is the eyes you look through. :):(

Meat birds are not the same as puppies. Most food animals (cows, pigs...)are neutered to make them grow and be docile and make the meat taste better/more tender. We also have neuter/spay drives to get cats & dogs fixed to keep them from over producing. I guess the difference is the eyes you look through. :):(

The point is whether the process is considered animal torture or not, regardless the type of animal. I don't think anybody would object to caponizing if it is done with anesthesia, but then it will not be practical nor economically beneficial for the people or the industry to caponize.
The same reason why western world is criticizing the halal/kosher slaughter which basically let the meat animal bleed to death in pain. If you look at it from the perspective that they are being killed anyway, what is the point arguing on a little bit of extra suffering. Or how we look down on the japanese restaurants that serve a live fish so the costumers can pick the flesh when they are at the freshest stage while the fish is gaping for air on the sizzling plate. All for the most tender and better tasted flesh for the satisfaction of people who eat the fish.
It may be an extreme example but it makes it easier to see the pattern.

They are now also working on banning battery chicken, but i guess it would be an uphill battle.

To stay on topic, this was my rooster Barney, a cross between silkie and barnevelder.

Last edited:
The point is whether the process is considered animal torture or not, regardless the type of animal. I don't think anybody would object to caponizing if it is done with anesthesia, but then it will not be practical nor economically beneficial for the people or the industry to caponize.
The same reason why western world is criticizing the halal/kosher slaughter which basically let the meat animal bleed to death in pain. If you look at it from the perspective that they are being killed anyway, what is the point arguing on a little bit of extra suffering. Or how we look down on the japanese restaurants that serve a live fish so the costumers can pick the flesh when they are at the freshest stage while the fish is gaping for air on the sizzling plate. All for the most tender and better tasted flesh for the satisfaction of people who eat the fish.
It may be an extreme example but it makes it easier to see the pattern.

They are now also working on banning battery chicken, but i guess it would be an uphill battle.

To stay on topic, this was my rooster Barney, a cross between silkie and barnevelder.
well said, and sharp looking rooster.

Back
Top Bottom