show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics
Quote:
You are welcome....

NO the roosters do not always have a white chest. I've been told that you do not want a rooster with a lot of white on the chest. Too many spangles on the roo leads to too many spangles on the hens....

Snowbird has actually breed SS before, so he can let us know if I am off base with what I have heard.....

Lisa, here we go again. You will need more than one breeding pen for these SS as it is all about balancing all the colors and type. I would never breed a male that did not have at least some spangling in the chest. The trick here is use fowl with small white spangles and not big white spots or groups of spangles attached together. Don

Quote:
I am just waiting on the leg bands to arrive to start better tracking on them. Some I can just tell are much smaller than the others...

I do have a couple of females that I am saving for last that have very little color on them.... so they may be the ones I focus on since all the males seem to have a lot of white.

Quote:
Dh is going to think your name is a cuss word if you keep talking about additional breeding pens! LOL

His honey do list is long enough already!

Quote:
Dh is going to think your name is a cuss word if you keep talking about additional breeding pens! LOL

His honey do list is long enough already!

Lisa, Keep in mind that you do not have to have all the matings going at the same time. Do one mating and when you have sufficient eggs, switch to another mating. Always keeping in mind that you can work on multiple faults at the same time with the same mating.

Quote:
mrheinz77, I just saw your signature line . .. .
I am a high school mathematics teacher. I am off for personal reasons, but it is what I do.
The students so freak out when they start reading math problems that incorporate chickens and farming into the scenario.

woot.gif
Thanks Don again for all the advice.... Are you up to one more critique? ?
I have pics of one more pullet. She is a little young like the last one.

Then, I promise I will take a break until the leg bands get here.

NO WHITE IN THE TAIL - - - is that for hen and rooster ? ? ?

Quote:
It's called double mating. Nobody noticed the solid white primary feather on post 134, they should be black and white not solid white as per APA 2001 page 102.
smile.png

Steve

WELCOME Steve,

I saw the white primary, but I am hoping that it will still fall out since this little one is only 17 weeks old and has not finished the juvie molt.

Is the solid white wing feather a fault or a Disqualifier ? ?

Feel free to stick around. We need some experience speckled sussex breeders on here.

Pullet # 4 - -

Love the size of the chest on this girl at 17 weeks. I do think her head is little small for the width of her neck....

IMG_2111.jpg

I know she is showing a lot of white.... perhaps a really dark roo would help offset the next generation.... BUT I think the chest is showing a lot of potential.
Don, am I wrong on this ? ? ? ?

IMG_2107.jpg

Here is the wing spread

IMG_2108.jpg

This is the one I like the best out of the first 4. I like her because of her size and solid build.
Am I way off base on this ? ?

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Math Ace,
A solid white feather is not a DQ per the 2010 S.O.P.
Quote:
I like the distance between the legs on this guy.

Back
Top Bottom