show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics
Quote:
It's called double mating. Nobody noticed the solid white primary feather on post 134, they should be black and white not solid white as per APA 2001 page 102.
smile.png

Steve

Steve, No we are talking about single mating, double mating is where you single mate but have a mating to produce female and one to produce males. No need to double mate for the SS. I do not worry about the white feather in wing and tail until after the Juve Molt.

Math Ace,
I have a BS in Biology with a personal interest in Genetics and Botany. When I taught Bio my cattle always served as examples in problems. Now I'm teaching 9th grade Physical Science, Chem, Adv Chem, Physics, and Adv Physics. In about 6 years when our Bio teacher retires I may switch to Bio but it sure is nice teaching electives. When asker why they need to learn something I can say "you're the one that signed up for the class." Lol

Back to the SS. Nice looking Cockeral. I need to find myself a cheap SOP. I've spent all my extra money on eggs so I can't afford much right now.
L8R
Jim

Quote:
You don't get much cheaper than FREE! Go to the public library and ask them to get it for you.
There are two types of interlibrary loans---- one within the county and the other is state wide.

Ask them to FIND IT - - they may have to go outside of the county but they can get it!

The standards for SS have not changed..... so it doesn't matter which edition they can find
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks Punky! I have 5 or so of his brothers growing out. I am just waiting to see how they do.
Here is what is so FUNNY . .. . I've heard all these rumors about SS roos being nasty, BUT the nastiest cockerel in the group in a BCM cockerel.
hmm.png

The BCM cockerel is the crower too.
smack.gif

Quote:
Hi Math Ace,
A solid white feather is not a DQ per the 2010 S.O.P.
Quote:
I like the distance between the legs on this guy.

Punky, Would you be willing to give me a point of reference saying the White wing or tail feather is not a DQ. If the breed standard does not say a white feather is acceptable , it reverts back to the interpretation section and cuttings for defects. A white wing or tail feather on the SS is a DQ, since the breed standard does not say it is acceptable.

I was asked to help with the faults on raising the SS and it was intended to be used for SS people tolook at and see what is wanted and what is not wanted. All fowl with pure white in wing and tail should be culled after the Juve Molts.

There is another pullet waiting for a critique so how about jumping into the thread and say how to go forward with this female. Don

Last edited:
I just received a very infomrative bit of information for us newbies....

Walt AKA fowlman01 sent me this little tidbit .. .

Quote:
Such an obvious solution to wondering whether it is split wing on not - - count the dang feathers!
If there are missing ones, then it may NOT be a spilt wing. If there are NONE missing, then it is a split wing.

These OBVIOUS solutions just makes us want to
smack.gif
smack.gif
smack ourselves.

Thanks for sharing Walt!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Hi Math Ace,
A solid white feather is not a DQ per the 2010 S.O.P.

If the breed standard does not say a white feather is acceptable , it reverts back to the interpretation section and cuttings for defects. A white wing or tail feather on the SS is a DQ, since the breed standard does say it is acceptable.

There is another pullet waiting for a critique so how about jumping into the thread and say how to go forward with this female. Don

I think at this point, I may need to invite a couple of judges to come over and give us their take on this issue.
We all agree that the White, all white, wing feather does not belong after the Juvie molt....

Punky and Steve seem to see it as a Fault.
If I am understanding Don correctly, he sees it as a Disqualifier.

I'll see if we can not get a couple of judges to see how they would interpret it in the show ring. . .

ALSO, the pics I post I do invite ALL to give their critique on.

I learned so much on the marans thread by reading others critiques, but I learned even more when I started posting my own critiques.
Sometimes I was totally off on vocabulary or concept. It was all good because the more experienced breeders would come in and GENTLY correct my errors.
I never professed to being an expert and everyone knew I was just learning right along with the others.

I invite anyone who is willing to EXPOSE themselves to critique my birds. This is a forum that I want everyone to feel comfortable to make mistakes.
We can learn through our mistakes and others' mistakes. If posting makes you uncomfotable, then by all means. . .. continue to LURK.
Just give us a "shout out" every once in a while so that we know there is life out there
big_smile.png
If there is something you want clarification on BUT don't feel comfortable posting - ---PM someone who is posting.
They can post your question for you.

NOW, I am off to find a couple of judges to give us their take on the the solid white wing feather - - FAULT or DQ ?

JUDGES, Calling all JUDGES - -

With the speckled sussex, is a solid white wing feather - - FAULT or DQ ?
We know it is BAD - - we just don't which it is FAULT or DQ.
If it is ONLY a fault - - about how many points is it worth ?

Back
Top Bottom