show quality speckled sussex ??

From the teens thru about 1923 there was a lot of experimenting and opinons and Changing ideas about which undercolor produced the best ground color in several breeds. By about 1922, they had it figured out and Standards had been changed to reflect the best undercolor to produce the best top color.
Note the dates of these Article's as they Advance forward. I am sorry, can't send the URLs with this cellphone. All are full view in Google Books.
1911, national Poultry magazine
, vol. 9 , Page 9.
The stumbling block of undercolor has been avoided at present...

1914, The Poultry Item,
vol. 17 , Page. 27 ,
The type and markings of red and Speckled Sussex
By H. H. Coburn,
Red Sussex Farm, Mich.

1918, Poultry Success,
vol. 29, Page 51
Attention- Breeders of the Speckled Sussex, at the annual meeting of the
Sussex Club of America.....

1922, American Poultry Advocate, vol. 31, Page. 393 .
The Speckled Sussex is a Breed worthy your best efforts.....

1922, American Poultry Journal,
vol. 53 , Page 1113.
When the speckled Sussex were admitted to the 1915 Standard....
Best,
Karen

The study of the changing of the acceptable undercolor in the Rhode Island Red during this 1911 thru 1923 era is also interesting. They also changed their undercolor in their Standard. Currently, the RIR color is ( according to Van Dort), the same as the Red Sussex except the RIR also has the recessive black genes.
Best,
Karen

I’ve worked my way through this whole thread and if anyone is still out there I would like to know what progress you’ve made or if everyone migrated somewhere else!

I’ve worked my way through this whole thread and if anyone is still out there I would like to know what progress you’ve made or if everyone migrated somewhere else!
I'm here, and I'm new. I have ten Speckled Sussex bantams that are nine weeks old, 7 of which are cockerels.

I'm trying to get more than a generalized standard of the breed, which is all I'm finding on the web. "Brick/horizontal" helps, a little. I want to keep the best looking of the boys to breed. I'm not expecting show quality, but just as good as I can do.

I'd love to talk to others about the breed, too.

I'm here, and I'm new. I have ten Speckled Sussex bantams that are nine weeks old, 7 of which are cockerels.

I'm trying to get more than a generalized standard of the breed, which is all I'm finding on the web. "Brick/horizontal" helps, a little. I want to keep the best looking of the boys to breed. I'm not expecting show quality, but just as good as I can do.

I'd love to talk to others about the breed, too.
Have you had a look at the standard for Sussex? Speckleds are just a colour variety.
http://www.openpoultrystandards.com/Sussex
Scroll down in the link and it has a small section on the speckled sussex.

Have you had a look at the standard for Sussex? Speckleds are just a colour variety.
http://www.openpoultrystandards.com/Sussex
Scroll down in the link and it has a small section on the speckled sussex.
Thank you for replying. I have six pullets that are large frame from Privett Hatchery via my local Tractor Supply. They are 10 weeks old today. I thought I would pick the best of the 6 for my son’s 4H project next year. I’m doubtful these will turn out to be much but it’s fun to learn and hopefully improved what we have to work with over time.

Back
Top Bottom