show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics
Quote:
I grew up 10 minutes from Halbach's Hatchery. I have only had the pleasure of meeting him twice. The first time was to go with a friend to pick his 4-H chicks. While there Mr. Halbach gave my sister a Golden Penciled Hamburg. When this bird was mature somebody from the city saw it and bought it to have it stuffed for their apartment. The second time was when Mr. Halbach judged our county fair. This was no small county fair. It followed the APA style for a show. I showed my friends Black Jersey Giant and it was named Best of Class and then Champion. Guess whose stock it came from. Mr. Halbach. Guess who the judge was. Mr. Halbach. This was his last year with the hatchery and he offered to give me a cockeral but since I lived in town I couldn't have chickens. She ended up going to freezer camp.

It was Mr. Halbach's Speckled Sussex that got me interested in the breed (as well as Black Langshans and Jersey Giants). I wish I knew who got his stock.
Jim.

Quote:
I LOVE stories like this.... They are so cool!
thumbsup.gif

I am learning a lot by reading this thread. My speckleds will have to be utilitarian above show, though, since they are the large fowl breed I'm trying out. It's too bad the boys take so long to fill out, they feel so bony in their keel. The hens are filling out good, maybe it's just a male thing, growing up before growing out.

READY, SET, LEARN......

SNOWBIRD ( Don) This is pics of the first pullet. She is approximately 4 1/2 months old.

What I see: Ear Coverts are white. Ear lobes are bright red as per standard.
Beak is slightly curved and horn colored per standard
Head and neck look to have good balance size wise.
Eyes - SHOULD be reddish bay. I don't think this is reddish bay.
Don - - will the eye color continue to change is it pretty much done by 4 months ? ?

IMG_2109.jpg

NEXT PICTURE - - SAME BIRD . . .

What I see: Shanks and toes are the pinkish white per standard
The chin / front neck area is too white, solid white.
The breast area has feathers tipped in white with a black bar dividing the white from the balance of the feathers.
Don - - I am wondering about the coloring going down the side and continuing onto the wing. The color seems more brown than mahogany.
Also, there is some weird striping patterning in the same area.... Black stripes without white spangles.

IMG_2106.jpg

I am so glad I took this wing picture...
The wings are missing the white tips. Is that because they are still a little too young?ALSO, this picture really illustrates the wierd striping pattern that lacks the white spangles.

IMG_2105.jpg

Here is the other wing. . ..

IMG_2103.jpg

LAST shot - a profile

What I see: For her age, she is on the small size.
Her back is nice and long.
I don't think the angle of the tail is her normal carriage.

IMG_2102.jpg

So, Don how did I do?
What did I miss?
Does this girl look like typical hatchery stock?
Does she show potential worthy of keeping her around a couple more months?

Last edited:
Lisa, At the present age the eyes and other things will change. Remember in SOP there is no mention of Ear Coverts, Ear Tufts is corrects. Facing the pullet the left wing is either split or weak. The tail angle is way off. The black striping makes me believe this pullet is Hatchery and is not pure SS. The over all body color is not even but you would need to let her get older and molt to really know. At her age I would not worry about the white at this point as it will show up later. The eye color is ok at this point of age as she will change later. Don

Quote:

Quote:
LOL.... I really did pull out the standard and TRY to find the proper vocabulary for the EAR Tufts....
hide.gif

I will look at her wing carefully tomorrow.... Either way Split or weak wings would be BAD and a reason to not to keep for breeding.
I didn't think the black striping was right either...

HOW COMMON is a split wing issue in this breed ? ?

So, it looks like she needs to find a new home where the folks just want an egg layer.

Last edited:
he.gif
Dang it! I just posted all the picks for the second pullet and LOST them
he.gif

Oh Well, here I go again!

Pullet # 2 AGE 4 1/2 months old

SHANKS - -- should be pinkish white.... This lady seems to have some bleed through issues.
How bad of an issue is it ?? ?

IMG_2118.jpg

HEAD and Neck. . .
I won't swear to it, but the comb looks like it might be a thumb print comb.
The unusual coloring is what concerns me.... Black feathers with an orangish brown stripe down the center....
I am JUST GUESSING here, but I am thinking that is NOT GOOD!

Any idea why it is showing up ?

IMG_2119.jpg

WING:

It looks like some of the this wing has some white tips. Is it enough since this pullet is only 4 1/2 months old?

Overall body and color:

I am much happier with this pullet's size. However, the coloring with that striping just seems all wrong. I don't see anything in the standard indicating that this would be acceptable.

IMG_2125.jpg

Tail angle is looking much better on this girl....

IMG_2124.jpg

How about this one, Don?

What did I miss?

Does this girl look like typical hatchery stock?

Does she show potential worthy of keeping her around a couple more months?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom