Show Silkie Show!

Quote:

lau.gif

When the kid is born, get it used to work early as possible.

hide.gif

This is what I did. Taught DD responsibility from the time she could walk (started with toys get put up. her responsibility to see toys were put up nightly or they were gone in the morning-hid in a closet but she only knew they were gone. Toys did reappear after the next night when she picked up)

She is a very good worker. She loves to work hard and be able to see that she has gotten things done. In high school she was in FFA. She loved the teachers she had, and they loved her. Both of them told me on a regular basis how much they thought of her and how hard she worked at things for FFA such as the greenhouse, chicken coop, etc. DD used to fuss about some of the girls that were in FFA classes because they acted like they didn't want to get their hands dirty. She kept extra shoes at school and I had taken her changes of clothes several times especially during fair time when she would go work and clean out stalls.

My best friend of many years moved 3 years ago. DD volunteered to help her over a weekend. My friend's dad is a retired Navy man. That was the first time he had met my DD. He was so impressed with her work ethic that he still talks about it now and asks about her every time he talks to me or my friend.
She loaded boxes, unloaded boxes, stacked boxes...good and fast too! She believes in getting a job done and done well.

love.gif
I am extremely proud of her and the person she is
love.gif

Last edited:
So there are a few normal kids out there still...... I'm the oldest of 4 and learned responsibility at a young age. My siblings are not quite in the same boat though. The oldest brother actually fell in the tradition of the birds too and will help out at the farm occasionally. My next brother is the clean freak that carries hand sanitizer everywhere. He won't touch a thing out in the barn for fear of getting dirty. My sister is the youngest and has neon pink hair and a nosering.
roll.png
My parents are already getting way too over protective towards this new baby. They want me to get rid of my dog in my house because god forbid the baby might get a hair on it. I mentioned looking for a pony for it and they threw a tantrum and said the kid might get hurt on one of those. O jeesss....sounds like I'm going to have my hands full.

Wow they are all gorgeous to say the least!!!! I have been researching Silkies and I am so impressed at the quality I am seeing.
big_smile.png
My daughter absolutely LOVES them and wants to start showing.

I would love to get some show quality Splash and Lavendars in Jan. Does anyone start eggs this time of year? Or would you recommend young stock?

Last edited:
Quote:
On 100% Lavs I would recommend young stock. For two reasons..... One there are a lot of dishonest (or possibly confused) people who think its okay to sell light blues and diluted splashes as Lavs! One way to tell if you are getting ripped off is a wing test. The rachis on a Lavender will be white on top and black on bottom.
Number two reason....... there is some reason unknown as of yet to us Lav people, that those darn Lav eggs are hard to hatch
barnie.gif

I have even tried broody mom and only 3/12 hatched, and then only 2 survived! At this point I am ready to travel to the sphynx and ask what the dang secret is with these birds! My gray splits by the same daddy hatch like CRAZY!! If you do do eggs I would recommend hatching some nice black splits. Maybe buy a nice Lav Rooster to breed to whatever hens you get from the black splits. Jump on the self blue (lavender) silkie thread, there are some GREAT breeders and knowledgable folks there that can steer you down the right path!
Good Luck!

43829_silkieroo.jpg

srry couldnt find a better pic these are my hatchery quality roos in my free range flock i love having room to free range and have breeder coops becouse of that roo next to the polish hen he is a monster of a silkie with big waddles and a big comb which i like but he is not touching my breeder girls

Hello.
i have a few silkies
i just got thses from a nice lady in Wisconsin.
i was told some of them are Premiere Silkies?
not sure which tho or anything but ill post pics and hope you enjoy em
pop.gif

*the black ones did have their crests trimmed by her, cause i geuss they got so big, im waiting for em to molt out.
smile.png

69549_dscf2220.jpg

69549_dscf2218.jpg

69549_dscf2208.jpg

69549_dscf2202.jpg

69549_dscf2205.jpg

69549_dscf2199.jpg

69549_dscf2182.jpg

69549_dscf2097.jpg

69549_dscf2106.jpg

69549_dscf2073.jpg

69549_einstien_w_f_name.jpg

69549_einstien_feet_w_fname.jpg

69549_roo_bathed_with_farm_name.jpg

69549_roos_feet_w_fname.jpg

69549_dscf1092.jpg

69549_dscf1094.jpg

69549_dscf1091.jpg

These boys are hatchery and the one lone one is snow he is very nice crest and all but has a 6th Toe NAIL
he.gif

69549_dscf1087.jpg

Baby silkies about 2-3 months
smile.png

69549_dscf2162.jpg

69549_dscf2160.jpg

69549_dscf2122.jpg

69549_dscf2095.jpg

69549_dscf2092.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my slide show
pop.gif
Thanks