Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

Pics

I have two stagecoaches. We modified the nest box and the roost floors. So anyway, first picture is the nest box in closed position. The lid can be lifted to gather eggs. On cleaning day, the nest box base folds down so I can reach into the roost and scoop with my dust pan easily. The nest boxes are 14" by 11" and I use a plastic storage bin that's maybe 4" tall that fits in there perfectly.
My chicks are 4 and 8 weeks old so no eggs yet.

I picked up some damaged wooden crates from Home Depot (50 % off) and did some minor alterations. Then I added some dish pans (Wal-Mart) to them for easy cleaning. My plan is to add some plywood to the back of them for added support and a point of attachment to the inside of the coop.

I picked up some damaged wooden crates from Home Depot (50 % off) and did some minor alterations. Then I added some dish pans (Wal-Mart) to them for easy cleaning. My plan is to add some plywood to the back of them for added support and a point of attachment to the inside of the coop.
Cuteness! I love those wood crates, I wish mine had some discounted ones!

Here are our nest boxes. 2 of ours were made out of an old plexiglass fish fry(baby) rearing tank that had been collecting dust in our shed for many years...

47b7d711b3127ccebdcd80bbb82700000025100FYtm7ho2Y-

I used sections of old soaker hose on the front section of the boxes to protect the girls' feet and left-over paint to paint them.

Dawn

Great idea to use hoses on the edge of the nest boxes!!! I'm going to try adding that to mine:)

I modified the 5 gallon bucket concept.

Prized roosting location in upper right.

Suspended off floor to open both doors for clean out. Storage area above nesting boxes, contains automatic waterer reservoir and light controller.

I modified the 5 gallon bucket concept.

Prized roosting location in upper right.

Suspended off floor to open both doors for clean out. Storage area above nesting boxes, contains automatic waterer reservoir and light controller.
That is some very slick design/build, I love it....tho I still think 5 gal buckets are too small for nests.

I've been keeping an eye on whether they have had any issue with getting in and out of them and all has seemed fine to date. I was surprised yesterday to open the egg door and find an Ameraucana and a Buff Orpington crammed into one bucket together.

Back
Top Bottom