Show your Rabbit Hutch

Batty about Banties

Songster
8 Years
Feb 12, 2011
Gorge
I need to make a bunny hutch for two and was hoping I could get some ideas on here so let's see your bunny hutches!!!
pop.gif

I need to build for 3, but I don't have the 3rd bunny yet. I was looking at these "rabbitat" setups with a house and run over the traditional wire bottom hutches. Right now the girls are in a dog crate hanging out in the house. Husband said "No rabbits in the house"... then he looked at the weather, and was like... Ok, bring them in. LOL Then he sat on the floor with me and played with them and even went and picked grass for them to eat. He's such a sucker.

Hutch photos will help! I need inspiration, we've only ever gone the typical hutch route. I was thinking about doing a secure run, dug into the ground and all, the girls together while they grow, adding a boy later and splitting them up. Or, traditional hutches, low to the ground, with ramps into a play area while I clean and feed. Or something.

I have to build BIG, I bought Flemish Giants and can't even use 1/2x1/2 rabbit wire because it'll sag. So I need to go big, and strong.

Omgosh I have little rabbits!! I'm not even sure how to go about building one, BF said no more pens so I may just have to do the hanging cage thing for awhile until one day a bunny pen shows up in the yard!!!
hu.gif

You can get pretty far with some 2x4's and rabbit wire, and a sheet of plywood for the roof and hiding box. Shingles for the roof. A rectangle on legs covered in wire, basically. Poo falls through to the ground for easy removal.

I wish they made the store bought kind bigger, they're all so small for the type of rabbits I got! But I like the look of them. I saw one used on CL for $60... but it would only last me a couple of weeks before they outgrew it.

But then I was thinking something like this....

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=P0KwTdPoGoG4twfkmqCKDA&ved=0CD0Q8gIwAg#

But building it from scratch.

I thought it was really cute! But the reviews said the wood was thin, so I don't think it would last long out in the weather. But following that design, using sturdier materials, might have something there! I like it because it's a space saver, the pull out tray on top keeps the play area below clean. It's more fun for the bunny with the 2nd story and outside space.

I was thinking of adding a side door, a smaller box inside the upper portion for cold weather warmth. And doing 3 of them, side by side. One of them with a removable divider in the bottom part for the girls.

I took two old wooden road signs (plywood works too) and used one for the floor and one for the roof and filled the sides in with mesh and 2 X 4's' with two doors opening the entire front of the cage for easy cleaning. This works great and you can make them any size you want. I have flemish giants and they have room to lay and stretch out as well as stand up tall. In the summer I have made a temporary ground cage that they can jump down into with boxes so they have lots of room to run and eat grass... they love it.

I would post some pictures but I have dial-up and my internet connection keeps kicking me off before the pics get downloaded.

Shameless bump. I'm going to get an angora or a lionhead for a pet, and can't decide what a good cage/hutch/house would be for them. Show me the bunny hutches!! I want pictures on here, and links to ones you like or hated (cause I don't want to buy that one!)

Back
Top Bottom