Shower curtain/vinyl sheets for winter winds: how to hang? how to secure?

We have an 8x8x8 cube as a covered run for our chickens. In our first winter, I purchased clear vinyl table cloths ($10 for 5x7 panel), and paint sticks (drill holes through a stack of them so they won't crack) as long staples to hang up the vinyl as siding (leave 1 ft -2 ft on top open for ventilation). Most of the panels ripped by strong winds. We survive the winter by patching up the rips with packing tapes.

Second winter, I found a much stronger clear "marine vinyl" (used by many restaurants for the outdoor seating shelters). They work beautifully, no rips, and we were able to remove the vinyl in spring and rolled up the sheets for next winter.

The marine vinyl was more expensive but definitely worth it!

20 gauge, 72" wide, $11.44/yard.

https://hivemodern.com/pages/product481/knoll-marcel-breuer-wassily-chair

We use the same paint sticks trick to hold up the vinyl, worked well, the sticks, nails can all be reused!

We have an 8x8x8 cube as a covered run for our chickens. In our first winter, I purchased clear vinyl table cloths ($10 for 5x7 panel), and paint sticks (drill holes through a stack of them so they won't crack) as long staples to hang up the vinyl as siding (leave 1 ft -2 ft on top open for ventilation). Most of the panels ripped by strong winds. We survive the winter by patching up the rips with packing tapes.

Second winter, I found a much stronger clear "marine vinyl" (used by many restaurants for the outdoor seating shelters). They work beautifully, no rips, and we were able to remove the vinyl in spring and rolled up the sheets for next winter.

The marine vinyl was more expensive but definitely worth it!

20 gauge, 72" wide, $11.44/yard.

https://hivemodern.com/pages/product481/knoll-marcel-breuer-wassily-chair

We use the same paint sticks trick to hold up the vinyl, worked well, the sticks, nails can all be reused!
posted wrong link -

20 gauge ($11.99/yard, 72")

https://www.marinevinylfabric.com/products/clear-marine-vinyl?variant=32074940874836

30 gauge ($6.99/yard, 54", with minor blemishes, $135 for 22 yard)

https://www.marinevinylfabric.com/products/clear-marine-vinyl?variant=32074940874836

i use 6mm polycarbonate panels covering the first few vertical feet of the run. i cut them to fit so that i could just screw them into the framing of the run. i think i’ll get another winter or two out of them before the plastic becomes too brittle

the chickens are blocked from cold winds, but there is still plenty of open air for ventilation.

Attachments

• 6F80CC63-3575-41AC-A20C-D521DE416362.jpeg
    6F80CC63-3575-41AC-A20C-D521DE416362.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 04F1B08E-6E61-476A-9DA8-BC1F9B9B3300.jpeg
    04F1B08E-6E61-476A-9DA8-BC1F9B9B3300.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • E5A12C19-92AD-461B-8067-A583EDA216EE.jpeg
    E5A12C19-92AD-461B-8067-A583EDA216EE.jpeg
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 18
I've got a few areas that I can't actually screw any boards too, and before I switched to the ribbed roofing panels and sheets of plexiglass I used clear table clothes since they were far thicker than the dollarstore shower curtain liners with double layered ducktape along the edges that I folded with holes punched in for zip ties. I found it kept the ripping and flapping to a minimum with fairly little fuss.

Can't believe we're still in catastrophic drought and the wheels are already turning in my brain--winterizing!

My new run extension is 8'x10' so this winter I'd like to hang/install clear shower curtains or vinyl panels to go around for rain and wind mitigation. Our temps (Central TX) can jump from 70's or more one day, to an event like The Big Freeze 2021. Thankfully, a few inches of snow is infrequent but highly possible. There is no "average" anymore. My primary goal is keeping wind and driving rain at bay. My run is 2x4 frame, hardware cloth walls with a metal lean-to roof. Situated on the north side of my barn. I'll probably put the wind protection up to about 6'. I hate to have flapping sheets of plastic so am also researching something like anti-flap straps across any sheeting. Looks like some folks create 'panels' that can be removed after winter, but storage for those is challenging. Would be great to have something that can be rolled up but I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance.
I have used every form of plastic I can find as costs soar..
I fold over the edges 2 or 3 times for thickness then use wood shims or thin wood lathe...then secure with roofing tabs...plastic or metal..I found a box of Stainless steel at a garage sale ..which is nice as they don't rust and I can remove them and reuse...do ALL for sides making sure to secure corners ...Never have had any blown or torn off ..

OK, I bought 3 (all they had) of the PVC white (yuk) "privacy" lattice panels size 4'x8' as a test. Will spray paint one side of each to match the stain on the run-- the chickens will see the white side :) . I have some thicker plastic sheeting that I plan to staple to the lattice, using some duct tape "tabs" that I'll staple through to keep plastic from ripping. Will use a combination of turnbuttons and some screws to install the lattice/plastic panels vertically to the exterior of the run. I'm thinking the lattice panels should be mounted with the plastic on the exterior, since the plastic might catch and/or rip if pressed up against the hardware cloth of the run (thoughts?). I figured I will have storage space in the barn for these panels once we are done with winter.

Right now, I'll need to find staples that don't go all the way through these thin floppy lattice panels. My 5/16" (8mm) Arrow staples poke through to the other side--ouch! Plus I could use one more lattice panel. Always something! Will try to post some results once this project is complete. I still like reading all the inputs and ideas from folks ;)

I just winterized my run with heavy duty clear shower curtains yesterday.....granted they aren't complete yet as I just have things piled around the bottom until I get my pavers around the bottom....... So far I am loving this technique......the curtains are clear enough to see my chickens through it and the sun light gets in better unlike last year with the opaque winterizing plastic sheeting from the farm store that you couldn't even see movement inside the run and it didn't let much light in either.

I just attached the shower curtains with shower curtain hangers about 8" from the top of the run........my run is a chain link dog run so that helps. I over lapped each curtain by 2 of the gromet holes at the top every time I needed to start a new one. It started snowing as I finished up but for now until I have a few thin tree branches from the wood pile, decorative rocks, and whatever I could find to hold them down tight until I can get my pavers......I plan to put the pavers around all sides to form a walk way anyways and so in winter I will just raise the pavers and put them over the extra plastic on the ground. The way I hang them puts about 10" of curtain on the ground so the pavers should cover and hide the plastic well and still be functional as a weight and a walkway. So far where the curtains over lap hasn't been an issue....but on a warmer day I will use heavy duty clear packing tape if needed to seal those seams.

I just posted about it yesterday. Thread 'Nick of time run winterization & other thoughts' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/nick-of-time-run-winterization-other-thoughts.1555045/

Attachments

• IMG_20221114_135014378.jpg
    IMG_20221114_135014378.jpg
    992.3 KB · Views: 12
Winterizing as I described (post #27) is 99% finished. PVC lattice panels (painted gray on one side, left white on reverse) with ?4mil plastic sheeting stapled onto the gray side. I cut lots of tiny square tabs from duct tape (sticky side to sticky side), spaced them out on the plastic, and stapled through the tiny tabs, hoping to keep the plastic from tearing. I had the roll of plastic left over from some other project.

Attaching the lattice onto the 2x4s of the run the was hardest part, since they're floppy and I'm only one person. Now, only to 'winterize' the People Door (screen door) located on the NW side of the run and I'm done.

So far I like the lattice; lets in plenty of light and keeps the plastic from flapping during our very windy cold fronts. Rigid but not too heavy. There's a gap over the top of the lattice panels which lets air in, but panels still block the driving rain and wind, which was my main concern. Sorry, no photos, as I'm a total tech dinosaur!:)

Back
Top Bottom