Shower curtain/vinyl sheets for winter winds: how to hang? how to secure?

texsuze

Crowing
11 Years
Dec 17, 2012
Texas Hill Country
Can't believe we're still in catastrophic drought and the wheels are already turning in my brain--winterizing!

My new run extension is 8'x10' so this winter I'd like to hang/install clear shower curtains or vinyl panels to go around for rain and wind mitigation. Our temps (Central TX) can jump from 70's or more one day, to an event like The Big Freeze 2021. Thankfully, a few inches of snow is infrequent but highly possible. There is no "average" anymore. My primary goal is keeping wind and driving rain at bay. My run is 2x4 frame, hardware cloth walls with a metal lean-to roof. Situated on the north side of my barn. I'll probably put the wind protection up to about 6'. I hate to have flapping sheets of plastic so am also researching something like anti-flap straps across any sheeting. Looks like some folks create 'panels' that can be removed after winter, but storage for those is challenging. Would be great to have something that can be rolled up but I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I used greenhouse clips and hdx 6 mil plastic with 1/2" pvc zip tied to my hoop run and also on my big run. With this method I could raise or lower the plastic as needed.
The clips can be found at greenhousemegastore.com.
https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/hardware-diy/pvc-fittings/snap-clamps?returnurl=/search?q=pvc&count=60

IMG_20200310_123410.jpg IMG_20200310_123419.jpg IMG_20210315_083954.jpg

I installed dollar store shower curtains along the west and south sides of the run which is where we get the most wind in the winter and they held up great! They are secured to the 2x4s of the run by 1x2 boards - the long stretch of these boards held down the curtains nicely so there was no tearing at all. It is definitely important to make sure the plastic is as tight as possible because any loose flapping will eventually start tearing. It's also important to predrill pilot holes in the 1x2s to keep them from splitting. When they were taken down I just rolled the 1x2s with the plastic still attached so they stored well. I was thinking about painting the 1x2s green to match the run, then just keep them screwed into the run frame all the time and add in the shower curtains when needed. This little greenhouse-esque run was such a treat for both chickens and humans during winter!

Attachments

• 20220117_150251.jpg
    20220117_150251.jpg
    882.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220216_080734.jpg
    20220216_080734.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
I used greenhouse clips and hdx 6 mil plastic with 1/2" pvc zip tied to my hoop run and also on my big run. With this method I could raise or lower the plastic as needed.
The clips can be found at greenhousemegastore.com.
https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/hardware-diy/pvc-fittings/snap-clamps?returnurl=/search?q=pvc&count=60

View attachment 3250495View attachment 3250496View attachment 3250497
I just was about to dig up one of your posts with these pictures, then I see you already replied. I copied this method for my hoop run and it worked perfectly.

FYI - these clips can also be purchased on Amazon.

I just was about to dig up one of your posts with these pictures, then I see you already replied. I copied this method for my hoop run and it worked perfectly.

FYI - these clips can also be purchased on Amazon.

I am glad it worked well for you.

A wee bit less expensive on Amazon too! I wish I could still get the material in 4' sticks and cut my own. It was super cheap that way.

Can't believe we're still in catastrophic drought and the wheels are already turning in my brain--winterizing!

My new run extension is 8'x10' so this winter I'd like to hang/install clear shower curtains or vinyl panels to go around for rain and wind mitigation. Our temps (Central TX) can jump from 70's or more one day, to an event like The Big Freeze 2021. Thankfully, a few inches of snow is infrequent but highly possible. There is no "average" anymore. My primary goal is keeping wind and driving rain at bay. My run is 2x4 frame, hardware cloth walls with a metal lean-to roof. Situated on the north side of my barn. I'll probably put the wind protection up to about 6'. I hate to have flapping sheets of plastic so am also researching something like anti-flap straps across any sheeting. Looks like some folks create 'panels' that can be removed after winter, but storage for those is challenging. Would be great to have something that can be rolled up but I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance.
I use zip ties to attach tarps to the top of coop all the way around. Then zip tie down the sides and bottom. In spring I can cut the ties on the sides and bottom but leave attached at the top and roll up and tie with string. Then when winter rolls around again I just untie and fasten the sides and bottom again.

I do this very thing with all of my coops! I hang them up with zip ties, just not too tights, so they can slide easily by hand but no so loose that the wind will move them around. I use natural rubber straps to hold them down against the fencing. {don't forget to oil them with Vaseline or some kind of oil, so they don't dry-rot) I suggest getting the longer ones, you can always connect them with others until you get the proper length you are looking for. I put them across the bottom about a foot up so if the wind blows because, we know it does. They will not flap around everywhere. You can also attach a tiny zip tie to the little plastic tabs that are usually at the center side with suction cups on them.
When it starts warming back up a good bit. I just use cheap stretchy bungee cords and make tiebacks with them by over lapping one side to the other, let take the other hook grab the bungee cord itself and then attach the hook to the fencing itself. I am usually able to gather two at a time and kid of swoop them over together into one. If it looks like it's going to rain or storm, I just let them back down again and leave the bungee cord attached to the fence for the next pretty day! I hope this helps or gives you ideas.

Back
Top Bottom