Showgirl thread- for posting pictures and discussing breed!

Pics
Hi all beautiful birds, I have had silkies for a few years now and have decided to start getting showgirls. I am getting a couple in a few weeks but would like to add more. I have put an ad on the WTB but I don't think alot of people look there. So does any one have any showgirls for sale? Looking for white and B/B/S, chicks to adults, thanks I can't wait to get mine and join in on this thread.

Attending a local poultry show in January, I did not find the breeds that I wanted to buy. Instead I brought home a a beautiful pair of white showgirls. (two folks who would know gave a good appraisal ) I enjoyed their spunky personalities. But the female will have nothing to do with the male, so I put her to work as a foster mom to 30 chicks and she takes her job seriously. Last week-end I went to a local meet-up and gave the rooster to some one who raises bantams only. Now Albert (that is his name) has lots of company and a better chance of finding a co operative female.

At this point, I am without other bantams but love my SG because she is so spunky. But wow does she get nasty dirty fast. I did not feel up to giving her a complete bath but I hated her poopy head (a chick must have walked on her head) so I gave her a shampoo. I am amazed how co operative she is and seems to love that attention. Like she wants a bath every few days. No way I have too many other projects. Maybe I can find another mate for her at the next poultry show. Such a special little creature but high maintenance !!!

Quote:
From what I understand, NN/ turkens have two genes for the naked feathering and thus have less feathers. Their bow tie is absent or almost. Nn have one gene for naked feathering and thus do not have so much of a nakedness. Such as instead of a very limited bow tie, their necks have more feather, while NN have barely a few wisps of feathers on their neck. As far as SG you will need to refer to others for what happens when crossed. The turken information was gleaned for the NN/turken site. They do not differentiate by names but talk only of genetic issues using NN and Nn to denote difference.

I put showgirl eggs in the bator this morning.
woot.gif
. I candled some I put under a silkie last sunday and saw little swimmers.

15886_my_chickens_723.jpg

this is the same silkie from last season. the 2 girls sat and hatched together. both good moms.

Quote:
From what I understand, NN/ turkens have two genes for the naked feathering and thus have less feathers. Their bow tie is absent or almost. Nn have one gene for naked feathering and thus do not have so much of a nakedness. Such as instead of a very limited bow tie, their necks have more feather, while NN have barely a few wisps of feathers on their neck. As far as SG you will need to refer to others for what happens when crossed. The turken information was gleaned for the NN/turken site. They do not differentiate by names but talk only of genetic issues using NN and Nn to denote difference.

frow.gif
hello maybe I can help with this...
as far as what you get (naked neck/bowtie) in breeding showgirls depends on what is bred to what

NN(naked neck SG) X NN SG= all NN

NN X Bowtie = 50/50

NN X Silkie = all bowties

Bowtie X Silkie = 50% bowtie and 50% silkie

all the silkie offspring will be full silkie.

Suz
Edited due to blonde moment:barnie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom