Showgirl thread- for posting pictures and discussing breed!

Would this rooster be the sire of the one I got from you at the spring show? It seems like maybe with the roos that the older they get the more red that bleeds through? With my own flock my roosters have dark marroon-ish red on thier waddles and comb, but not thier necks and I'm just wondering if I should be culling out anything that has the red going down the neck.
Yes, he is sire to most all my birds. anything that you can do to improve color and type is good.

Last edited:
I'm glad that you posted pix of an appropriate roo - my white bow tied roo has a very slight red tinge to his skin now that he is of breeding age. It actually isn't quite as dark as the one pictured, but (as was mentioned by RIRJen) maybe that comes with age? Hormone related?

I also have a black bow tied roo that blushes bright red when he's after his "ladies", or defending his turf from one of the Silkie roos. Otherwise his skin is very black. It seems to be alot like blushing or brought about when you would expect him to be experiencing some type of hormonal surge. Kinda interesting...and his babies have all had black, black skin when he is bred to his dark blue, bow tied hen. All so interesting!
Yes, I do believe their are times roosters show more red. Seems to be after they have completed a molt, when the feathers are at their prime. It just must feel good to have a fresh coat of feathers.

I do enjoy all the comments and info that people share..
smile.png

This may have been covered in a previous post, and if it was, I appologize.

I have both bearded and non-bearded silkies, and a bearded/bowtied SG roo, what is the probability of bearded to non-bearded?

and just because everyone likes photos:

SG Roo:

and one of my non-bearded hens with her brood from last year:

it all maters if your they carry one or 2 genes for beared, most beared silkies carry 2 so every thing they produce have beareds but some of the showgirls only have 1 gene for bearded

I have both bearded and non-bearded silkies, and a bearded/bowtied SG roo, what is the probability of bearded to non-bearded?

and just because everyone likes photos:

SG Roo:

and one of my non-bearded hens with her brood from last year:

This is a chart I saved in my favorites. Not sure if it helps you.

Bowtie X Silkie = 50% Silkies, 50% Bowties
Bowtie X Bowtie = 25% Naked Necks, 50% Bowties, 25% Silkies
Bowtie X Naked Neck = 50% Bowties, 50% Naked Necks
Naked Neck X Silkie = 100% Bowties
Naked Neck X Naked Neck = 100% Naked Necks * with each generation you wil increase the "nakedness".

Note: Silkies produced from these matings will not carry the Show Girl gene. They will be 100% silkies and when bred to another silkie will only produce silkies.

Deb

Back
Top Bottom