Showing at the Fair (Speckled Sussex)

LynS1975

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 27, 2013
Bothell, WA
I used to breed and show rabbits, but sold them all last fall. I have had chickens my whole life, but have never used them for showing. Now that it's fair time, I have been considering showing a couple of my chickens at the fair this year since I no longer have my bunnies to show. I have no experience showing them and don't know if my chickens are show worthy. I am posting a picture of my 4 month Speckled Sussex pullet. What do you think? Is she worth taking to the fair this summer or would I be wasting my time? It's all just in fun for me, so it wouldn't be a major let down if she didn't win a blue ribbon. I just like being able to participate. Also I have a 3 year old Partridge Rock hen that is (in my opinion) a beautiful chicken. What is the maximum age that a chicken can be shown? Is 3 years considered too old? What else would I need to know about prepping my chickens for show. I have heard a little olive oil on the comb and legs brightens them up nicely and of course they will need to be banded. Any other pointers?

On second thought, about that Partridge Rock...are they even an accepted breed? Maybe just a color variety of a breed? I don't see them in the fair catalog under their breed list for entries.

http://books.google.com/books?ei=Rt...erfection+poultry&jtp=210#v=onepage&q&f=false

APA Sanctioned shows (you fair may not be) use the Standard of Perfection as the guide for judging. Both your Sussex and Partridge Rock are accepted varieties. They are in different classes, why not enter both?

Above is a link to an older version of the Standard, most of the content is similar to the current version, enough to get you started. You can find both breeds listed in here and there are illustrations and descriptions. Go through and read the description and compare them to your birds. I can tell you that the Sussex that you posted has an incorrect pattern in her hackle feathers. Honestly with fairs, since it is an educational experieince more than anything, you will have a good time. Your bird certainly looks healthy, and in good condition at this time. By reading the Standard and comparing your birds to other that may be there, it will be good. Pay attention to the first chapters of the Standard, as there is a lot of information on defects and descriptions.

http://books.google.com/books?ei=Rt...erfection+poultry&jtp=210#v=onepage&q&f=false

APA Sanctioned shows (you fair may not be) use the Standard of Perfection as the guide for judging. Both your Sussex and Partridge Rock are accepted varieties. They are in different classes, why not enter both?

Above is a link to an older version of the Standard, most of the content is similar to the current version, enough to get you started. You can find both breeds listed in here and there are illustrations and descriptions. Go through and read the description and compare them to your birds. I can tell you that the Sussex that you posted has an incorrect pattern in her hackle feathers. Honestly with fairs, since it is an educational experieince more than anything, you will have a good time. Your bird certainly looks healthy, and in good condition at this time. By reading the Standard and comparing your birds to other that may be there, it will be good. Pay attention to the first chapters of the Standard, as there is a lot of information on defects and descriptions.
Thanks for the information.
smile.png
I will read up on the Standard. Regardless, I think I will take your advice and enter the both of them just for the fun of it.

Your SS pullet looks very good for her age. Just the right amount of white for her age. She has nice even Mahogany color , you would want to eneter her as a pullet, and the Partirdge as a hen. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom