Showing Olandsk Dwarf chickens?

ChicksnMore

😉
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Jul 1, 2013
Arizona
I got a flock of Olandsk Dwarf chickens from a good friend who passed. I know she showed these birds cause she talked about it and her frustrations with the breeds lack of recognition from the APA. She hoped that if enough people cared and wanted to show them, they could become a recognized breed with standards that would help strengthen the breed.
What I don't know is how she showed the birds if they have no standards? Can anyone tell me how that works?
She showed lots of different types of chickens and was rightfully proud of her birds...but these are the chickens of hers that I really really loved. They are absolutely delightful and oh so colorful. I'd like to keep her in mind by continuing her efforts to get as many people as possible keeping them and doing whatever I can to get them recognized.
Is there anything a backyard breeder can do towards that goal?

Your so lucky I wanted this breed for awhile but anyone that sold eggs wanted way more than I was willing to spend on shipped eggs.
From what I understand some shows have non standard class. And there are restrictions to the how high the bird can place. I don’t know how OD would be judged. I know people show in this class “satin” which is a hard feathered Silkie and they are judged against the silkie standard. I believe frizzle might fall in this class as well and judged under the Cochin standard. I’m not really too sure I’ve seen some mention of it in the silkie groups.
Your friends frustration in not getting enough breeders interested in getting the breed recognized comes from the requirement of no less than 5 breeders working together to breed to the same agreed upon standard for a minimum of 5 years. All that have been APA members for certain number of years. There is more than that but It comes down to you need a group of APA members all working on the same goal. Here is a link to the information
https://amerpoultryassn.com/accepted-breeds-varieties/varieties-seeking-admission/

Your so lucky I wanted this breed for awhile but anyone that sold eggs wanted way more than I was willing to spend on shipped eggs.
From what I understand some shows have non standard class. And there are restrictions to the how high the bird can place. I don’t know how OD would be judged. I know people show in this class “satin” which is a hard feathered Silkie and they are judged against the silkie standard. I believe frizzle might fall in this class as well and judged under the Cochin standard. I’m not really too sure I’ve seen some mention of it in the silkie groups.
Your friends frustration in not getting enough breeders interested in getting the breed recognized comes from the requirement of no less than 5 breeders working together to breed to the same agreed upon standard for a minimum of 5 years. All that have been APA members for certain number of years. There is more than that but It comes down to you need a group of APA members all working on the same goal. Here is a link to the information
https://amerpoultryassn.com/accepted-breeds-varieties/varieties-seeking-admission/
Thanks for the info. She might have been qualified to help but I'm definitely not then. Not even sure if she was, but least I do know what she was breeding for in them. If you're still interested in the breed, I'd be happy to ship you some free eggs. I'm not npip certified but shipped free eggs to a lady and they made it ok. The birds I got from her include some lavenders. Lavenders have the heavy white splashes with the black replaced by silver and the browns replaced by buff.

All frizzles are recognized in the APA though Satin Silkies aren’t.
You can show Olandsk Dwarfs as the Olandsk Dwarf breed at APA shows, however, since they are not recognized in the APA they can’t advance beyond the Best of Breed placing, but it can be a fun experience and a way for them to be seen. It’s really no surprise they aren’t in the Standard, they’ve been here for a short time and have seen little attention from breeders. To get a breed recognized you need at least (5 or 3 I can’t remember) breeders who’ve bred them for at least five years and been APA members for at least five years to agree on a Standard for the breed then send it to the APA for acceptance and then show birds at a few shows that have been bred to and meet these Standards. I don’t know if Standards exist for the Olandsk Dwarfs, I don’t think so though, because they are a landrace.
This is long and hard BUT it is possible! The Nankin is a recent success. You might have more luck with the American Bantam Association though, they have looser rules of acceptance.

I got a flock of Olandsk Dwarf chickens from a good friend who passed. I know she showed these birds cause she talked about it and her frustrations with the breeds lack of recognition from the APA. She hoped that if enough people cared and wanted to show them, they could become a recognized breed with standards that would help strengthen the breed.
What I don't know is how she showed the birds if they have no standards? Can anyone tell me how that works?
She showed lots of different types of chickens and was rightfully proud of her birds...but these are the chickens of hers that I really really loved. They are absolutely delightful and oh so colorful. I'd like to keep her in mind by continuing her efforts to get as many people as possible keeping them and doing whatever I can to get them recognized.
Is there anything a backyard breeder can do towards that goal?
I’m looking at getting some Olandsks this spring! They seem like sweet little birds and so pretty! There is a Facebook group for Olandsk breeders and fans, might be worth checking out if you are interested in finding others interested in building a standard! 😍 I’d love to see the lavender ones you have! I just got a Hedemora that’s lavender and she’s gorgeous 😍

All frizzles are recognized in the APA though Satin Silkies aren’t.
You can show Olandsk Dwarfs as the Olandsk Dwarf breed at APA shows, however, since they are not recognized in the APA they can’t advance beyond the Best of Breed placing, but it can be a fun experience and a way for them to be seen. It’s really no surprise they aren’t in the Standard, they’ve been here for a short time and have seen little attention from breeders. To get a breed recognized you need at least (5 or 3 I can’t remember) breeders who’ve bred them for at least five years and been APA members for at least five years to agree on a Standard for the breed then send it to the APA for acceptance and then show birds at a few shows that have been bred to and meet these Standards. I don’t know if Standards exist for the Olandsk Dwarfs, I don’t think so though, because they are a landrace.
This is long and hard BUT it is possible! The Nankin is a recent success. You might have more luck with the American Bantam Association though, they have looser rules of acceptance.
Ya, theres no standards for them. Theres a lot of similar breeds and she said she saw too many birds getting called dwarfs that look more like poorly marked Old English Spangles or crossed to other recognizable breeds rather then pure dwarf. I'm just beginning to learn about them but I'm enchanted. I'll read about the bantam association too. Thank you!

I’m looking at getting some Olandsks this spring! They seem like sweet little birds and so pretty! There is a Facebook group for Olandsk breeders and fans, might be worth checking out if you are interested in finding others interested in building a standard! 😍 I’d love to see the lavender ones you have! I just got a Hedemora that’s lavender and she’s gorgeous 😍
I'll post some pics Monday...love sharing pics of the birdies🤗 Tomorrow's all superbowl stuff for the hubby...but Monday I'm free as a bird.

A lavender hen and rooster. We've had a hawk checking out our yard so I didn't let them out to get pretty pictures, and I only did one of each so less bird catching....they're so mad at me for man handling them now! The last picture is a Yokohama roo getting a better look at what I was upto 🙂

Attachments

• 20220214_110033.jpg
    20220214_110033.jpg
    720.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220214_105952.jpg
    20220214_105952.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220214_105150.jpg
    20220214_105150.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220214_105227.jpg
    20220214_105227.jpg