Showing Seramas

I had looked into showing Seramas not too long ago and found a list of APA recognized breeds and varieties. On there it said that white was the only recognized variety. Here it is..

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/PDF Forms/APA Recognized Breeds and Varieties Sept2012.pdf

It is from 2012, but I am pretty sure it is still accurate, it is still linked on their website.

I would assume that, like Silkies, you could show any other color as AOV but I am not positive

What is "AOV"? There is no class called AOV at a sanctioned APA/ABA poultry show.

Showing serama sounds like great fun. The only thing I have read about colouring is that they have certain requirements for "acceptable" colours. If you look on the American Serama Association website, they talk about judging and showing there. I figure as long as you're breeding serama to serama and not with a cochin or whatever you should be okay? If I'm totally wrong, please explain!! :)

Quote:

What is "AOV"?  There is no class called AOV at a sanctioned APA/ABA poultry show.

"All Other Variety" or "Any Other Variety", for unrecognized colors. For example Paint Silkies are being shown as AOV-Paint, even at sanctioned APA/ABA shows, in order to get paints out there in the judge's eye, and hopefully have them become a recognized variety of Silkie.

Last edited:
"All Other Variety" or "Any Other Variety", for unrecognized colors. For example Paint Silkies are being shown as AOV-Paint, even at sanctioned APA/ABA shows, in order to get paints out there in the judge's eye, and hopefully have them become a recognized variety of Silkie.

That is not true. I'm not sure if you show but there is no class called AOV at a sanctioned ABA/APA poultry show. A paint Silkie would be shown on the Featherleg Class with all other Silkie's. They would not be eligible for BB but could win BV. There is no separate class for unrecognized Varieties of Poultry breeds. Poultry is categorized but breed not Variety.

Matt

You are correct; birds should not be entered as AOV. Serama exhibitors were once told to enter them as AOV because many bird's plumage were not easily described. It was thought that they would be grouped together, and the judge would ignore variety and only evaluate type. The scheme was successful on occasion, but the general vibe was that it was unacceptable. ABA and APA representatives confirmed that we are to enter birds as a named variety, even if we had to invent a name.

Back
Top Bottom