Shrink wrapped?

Bstella

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2023
He is chirping and moving but there is some bleeding or bruising on the bottom of this egg.

I think this is shrink wrapping but I'm not sure and don't know how to proceed,

There are 2 other eggs in the incubator one has internally pipped the other I don't think so.

Attachments

• C402A0D8-783A-4D4D-A113-F76123F6748C.jpeg
    C402A0D8-783A-4D4D-A113-F76123F6748C.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 70
I believe since yesterday, these are call ducks.

I have safety holes in the other two and they seem to be shrink wrapped as well, this is my first time.

I believe since yesterday, these are call ducks.

I have safety holes in the other two and they seem to be shrink wrapped as well, this is my first time.
What's your humidity at?
This article is really is a really great tool that I've used- Article 'Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry'. It lays out the step by step guide for assistance much better then I can. I haven't looked at this one but it might be good, too -Assisting Call Duck Hatches.

When a chick is shrink wrapped the membrane will be hard and yellow-brown in color. The chick will usually make a lot of distressed chirps to let you know that is is stuck. A healthy membrane will be white. A little bit of yellow does not mean it's shrink wrapped, just that it's drying out a bit. I can't tell from the picture, but if you think he's shrink wrapped you'll want to apply coconut oil to the membrane to loosen it up a bit. Then you'll want to see if he's still absorbing the yolk. Chewing and yawning means he's not quite done absorbing the yolk and needs more time. Leave him alone for a few hours and then check back to see how he's doing. If you ever notice the membrane drying out more, apply more coconut oil. Make sure to keep your humidity stable.

What's your humidity at?
This article is really is a really great tool that I've used- Article 'Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry'. It lays out the step by step guide for assistance much better then I can. I haven't looked at this one but it might be good, too -Assisting Call Duck Hatches.

When a chick is shrink wrapped the membrane will be hard and yellow-brown in color. The chick will usually make a lot of distressed chirps to let you know that is is stuck. A healthy membrane will be white. A little bit of yellow does not mean it's shrink wrapped, just that it's drying out a bit. I can't tell from the picture, but if you think he's shrink wrapped you'll want to apply coconut oil to the membrane to loosen it up a bit. Then you'll want to see if he's still absorbing the yolk. Chewing and yawning means he's not quite done absorbing the yolk and needs more time. Leave him alone for a few hours and then check back to see how he's doing. If you ever notice the membrane drying out more, apply more coconut oil. Make sure to keep your humidity stable.
Thank you! i have reviewed the link you suggested and also got someone on a video chat who does this for a living, I'm grateful for the assistance. One of them is upside down so she was suffocating we managed to get a space big enough that she has some space, going to leave them for now to rest.

I did apply coconut oil too, the other person said to check in them every 15-20 minutes

Back
Top Bottom