Sick Chicken - black comb and feet

Vaseline is said to be a good preventative for frostbite but I don't think it will fix it after the damage is done because the healthy cells have been destroyed. Assuming frostbite is the same in humans as well as animals what has happened is the water in the cells freezes and expands tearing apart the cell membranes. When it warms back up in humans it is quite painful because the nerves are firing all over the place. Black frostbite in humans more often than not results in amputation which leads me to think that she will loose her comb but could quite possibly make a complete recovery if infection does not take over. I would definitely get her out of the weather. Possibly in an animal crate/carrier in the house or barn or garage or whatever so that her body can start trying to heal.

Sorry that the damage is done. Is there any way you can make their coop warmer? Winter is not over yet and I don't think your chickens are protected enough. Can you wrap it with insulation or cover it with a tarp to keep out the wind? I know the chickens wwant to go outside but when it is cold they have to be treated like kids and made to stay in.

Give them scratch. It is OK this time of year because it helps to keep them warm.

What is their perch like. A 2X4 by whatever is perfect. Attach it to the wall so the 4 inch side is the part thy will roost on. This way they can cover their feet with their breast feathers.

Pick each of them up and feel their breast bone. Is it flesh covered or can you feel the bone? You might want to reconsider their feed.

Shelled black oil sunflower seed is full of fat and help them this time of year also.

Thanks for everyone's help. I think everyone is right, and that it is frostbite. I've got gertrude in our barn under a heat lamp away from the other chickens. She seems to be doing better. I'll keep you posted on her progress. Thank you again for all of your help!!!!!!

In this case it might have been frostbite but last night I noticed the same with one of my Rhode Island reds. She is lethargic, not moving just sits near the water. Last night her comb was grey but today it is black. Any thoughts????? It is summer here so not cold at all.

In this case it might have been frostbite but last night I noticed the same with one of my Rhode Island reds. She is lethargic, not moving just sits near the water. Last night her comb was grey but today it is black. Any thoughts????? It is summer here so not cold at all.

Hi @wolfladyrn2 :frow Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos?

How old is she?
When was the last time she laid an egg?

Having a grey or black comb can be an indication of lack of oxygen. There can be so many possibilities - organ failure, internal laying/reproductive disorders, crop issues, disease, overheating and other conditions can all contribute to reduction in oxygen.

Check her crop to see if it's emptying overnight, feel the abdomen for any swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid. If you have a vet that can test some poop to check for worms, coccidiosis and bacterial infections, that would be a good idea as well.

Do the best you can to make her comfortable - keep her hydrated and offer her some poultry vitamins.
Let us know how she's doing.

Back
Top Bottom