Sick chicken. Vet no help. Need help with care and diagnosis!

harrellkd

Chirping
Apr 25, 2015
Mountains of North Carolina
Help please! I have a bantam hen who has been acting strangely for the past two days. I live in the mountains of North Carolina. We have had some crazy back and forth temperatures here the past few days, and at first, I thought it must have something to do with that. The others are fine though, and she does not seem to be getting better.

She has been staying inside the coop, only coming out to eat a tiny bite, or get water. She walks around with her wings sticking out slightly from her body, and her feathers stay puffed out. She is very weak and tired. Today, I found her hiding under a hanging feeder in the coop. The other chickens seem to want nothing to do with her.

She keeps her beak partially open (like chickens sometimes do when they are hot), and has labored breathing. Holding her, I can feel a raspiness on the right side under her ribs.

She is 10 months old, and is a Millie Fleur D'uccle. At first I thought maybe she was egg bound, as she is still yet to lay an egg. I cannot feel anything, her vent is closed and everything looks normal. Her droppings look completely normal as well. I am thinking respiratory infection of some sort?

Right now, she is isolated and in the house with me. I added some Tetroxy HCA to her water and have been getting her to drink a little bit. I also rubbed VetRX on her comb. I called the vet, but he had nothing further to suggest besides what I have already done. I am so worried!!!! Any advice?!?!

Is that the same tetracycline? I give that and then a vitamin/electrolyte solution, but not at the same time. The tetracycline will bind with the vitamins and be flushed from the system. I also use an infrared light and isolation if needed. It sounds like you're doing all the right things, best of luck!

Is that the same tetracycline? I give that and then a vitamin/electrolyte solution, but not at the same time. The tetracycline will bind with the vitamins and be flushed from the system. I also use an infrared light and isolation if needed. It sounds like you're doing all the right things, best of luck!
I think it's this:
Oxytetracycline

This package weighs 280 grams
Package contains 102.4 grams oxytetracycline

102.4 / 280 = 0.37 , which means that it's 37% oxytetracycline and 63% filler
370 mg per gram
One teaspoon probably weighs 3 grams, so it's 3 x 370mg = 1110 mg per teaspoon
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = ~3/4 teaspoons

-Kathy

This is what we use

Back
Top Bottom