Sick Chickens

Does anyone know the longest you can give a chicken penicllin? I heared 7 days is the max you can give safely but my hen Hanna still has egg yolk in her stool and is still bloated. She seems to be eating better after giving her the injections and is able to sit down now ( could only stand before injections) but I don't think the infection is gone because of all the egg yolk in her stool, so maybe I should reduce the dosage to 1/4 cc for maybe 3 more days max just to make sure she gets rid of the infection. Does that sound okay? I've also been give her probios a few hours after injections to put the good bacteria back in her body and also have been putting organic apple cider vineagar in her water everyday.
You can do a water/vinegar flush to prevent bacterial infection.
Use a large syringe without a needle, mixing 1 tablespoon of WHITE vinegar to 1 quart of water. Use a full syringe of the mixture and insert the syringe into her vent and flush....like a douche. Use about 3 or 4 syringefuls, the liquid may or may not flow of her vent afterwards.
Honestly, the outlook doesnt look good for your hen and will most likely be an ongoing situation. I recommend that you cull her.

update- my hen hanna walked like a penguin yesterday. She seemed to be straining so what I did for her was gave her some garlic infused extra virgin olive oil coated blueberries(her fav fruit) and put her over some steam for 10 minutes than lubricated my finger and inserted my finger into her vent into her cloaca. Immediately fluid expelled from her vent once I removed my finger. I then put her over some steam for over half an hour, she really enjoyed it and started falling asleep. She was still straining but a few hours later she expelled some droppings and stopped straining. I believe the oil lubricated her insides which helped her release her stool. Today she is much better but still has some egg in her stool but is not straining and has good appetite.Her abdominal swelling seems to have gone down some. Diamond is much better, maybe too much energy as she wants to jump everywhere. She also has egg in her stool I just finished her course of penicillin yesterday (5 days) hopefully she will stop expelling the scrambled egg matter soon. I am still giving them probios everyday along with apple cider vinegar in their water and food. Does anyone know how much longer the scrambled egg in their stool will go away? Thanks.

Last edited:
I give 4 days of penicillin injections. And yes, the "cooked egg yolk" strands disappeared after that. I caught both time VERY early though....

You mean the "cooked egg yolk" strands disappeared immediately after the treatment or did it take a few days after treatment for them to disappear?

honestly I don't remember.. all I know is that she's fine and laying. Just keep an eye on your girl and watch that belly for the swelling.

Several of my chickens has died. I have never taken one to the vet. My original count was 48 hens and 2 roosters. Now, down to like 27 hens and the 2 roosters. Some lost has been from hawks or varmints (raccoons maybe?). They become swollen (puffy looking), will not move unless they absolutely have to, and at the very end will breathe very deeply. And they stop eating or doing anything. Before creating an account for this, I read one of the threads. Sounds like my chickens may have the same thing. Something they come with from the hatchery???? Nothing was ever said or discussed about the heavy breathing part..They are free range during the day. I open the door to the pen in the morning and they go back in at dusk, then I shut the door for the night. They are fed a mix of organic feed. Any insight to my chicks problem??? Please and thanks.

Several of my chickens has died. I have never taken one to the vet. My original count was 48 hens and 2 roosters. Now, down to like 27 hens and the 2 roosters. Some lost has been from hawks or varmints (raccoons maybe?). They become swollen (puffy looking), will not move unless they absolutely have to, and at the very end will breathe very deeply. And they stop eating or doing anything. Before creating an account for this, I read one of the threads. Sounds like my chickens may have the same thing. Something they come with from the hatchery???? Nothing was ever said or discussed about the heavy breathing part..They are free range during the day. I open the door to the pen in the morning and they go back in at dusk, then I shut the door for the night. They are fed a mix of organic feed. Any insight to my chicks problem??? Please and thanks.

I suggest that you take fresh fecal samples from your birds and get them tested for cocci and worm eggs at veterinary office.

EYP is quite easy to cure without resorting to surgery, find a avian exotics vet that carries deslorelin suprelorin 4.7mg implants and get him to install one in each of your hens, get him to drain there abdomens if need be and ask for a stronger antibiotic like baytril or clavamox , there abdomens will go down from the implant because it stops egg production and blocks the birds reproductive hormones thus the bird lays no more and it can live a healthy normal life , my hen has been on this implant for two years and is in impecable health. Thease implants are also used in ferrets to stop adrenal disease, the implant has a few side effects that you should know about and I'm telling you this just so you don't think somethings wrong , it usually sends the bird into a hard molt which won't harm them, your girls combs will shrivel up and lose coulor , they may eat less at first, they may be a little more calm, this is really just the way that the implant makes them feel till they get used to the different hormones circulating in there bodies and means its working, implants need to be replaced every 4-6 months depending on the individual bird, they are non invasive and are the same as microchipping a dog and they are 130 dollars each or at least that what I pay and I'm in Canada

EYP is quite easy to cure without resorting to surgery, find a avian exotics vet that carries deslorelin suprelorin 4.7mg implants and get him to install one in each of your hens, get him to drain there abdomens if need be and ask for a stronger antibiotic like baytril or clavamox , there abdomens will go down from the implant because it stops egg production and blocks the birds reproductive hormones thus the bird lays no more and it can live a healthy normal life , my hen has been on this implant for two years and is in impecable health. Thease implants are also used in ferrets to stop adrenal disease, the implant has a few side effects that you should know about and I'm telling you this just so you don't think somethings wrong , it usually sends the bird into a hard molt which won't harm them, your girls combs will shrivel up and lose coulor , they may eat less at first, they may be a little more calm, this is really just the way that the implant makes them feel till they get used to the different hormones circulating in there bodies and means its working, implants need to be replaced every 4-6 months depending on the individual bird, they are non invasive and are the same as microchipping a dog and they are 130 dollars each or at least that what I pay and I'm in Canada

EYP + $130 implant = CULL
EYP = CULL

Last edited:

Do NOT PM me chastizing me for recommending what to do with hens with EYP. You need to read this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/362422/drained-a-hens-abdomen-rest-in-peace-olivia-11-5-10
Furthermore, I could care less how you spend your money.

The initial girl with the suspected EYP should be put down. She isn't going to make it for any length of time and is probably in terrible pain. EYP is the result of a fatal reproductive condition with no cure except a very risky surgery (hysterectomy).

The second hen I don't really know what to say about because your description is too vague.

Unfortunately, hatchery-quality, production layers are prone to internal laying and other reproductive malfunctions. Your group is also just the right age to start showing signs of these issues. The lack of eggs recently means that they are still producing them, but they aren't seeing the light of day. So, where are they? They are being laid into the abdominal cavity where they are festering and poisoning your birds. This is a known problem with these high production, hatchery birds. Hatcheries have no desire to change this fact because the younger the birds are that die, the more chickens they can sell to replace them. It makes no sense for them to breed healthier, longer-lived specimens.

I am sorry for your losses.
Dear CMV. I believe I am experiencing this EYP. Presently I have a lace wyandotte born approx March 14, 2014. Always acted healthy. Don't think she ever gave me an egg. Will she just die also, or perhaps just sterile? I also had a brahma same age never gave me an egg, died about six months ago (no symptoms). I now have a buff orpington, same age, gave me regular eggs, but stopped laying abruptly about five months ago. She is now dying, only drinks, doesn't eat, no color in comb or wattle. I have good conditions, nice dry coop, free range in day, good food. No worms or lice. My birds are not production layers as you describe above, but having ruled out other things I think it might be this EYP. Could you describe further or send me to another information site.. Really appreciate any advice. Thanks Joan

Back
Top Bottom