Sick Cicken.. HELP!! not much time!

I had this problem not too long ago when raising my little ones. She did end up dying within two days of showing symptoms. Only mine was a week old. Symptoms include: doesn't eat nearly as much as the others, can't really stand up straight, sits down a lot, cannot walk correctly, doesn't drink near as much as the other chicks, and just doesn't look right and VERY LETHARGIC! None of these are good sings. Your first reaction will be to provide immediate attention and care to the the little guy. DONT! Put some gatorade in a little cup that it can drink if it wants to and put some finely shredded cheese in the food. Do not separate her from the others. If it has pasty butt, leave it alone and DO NOT clean the butt, just let it be. These tips will give your little chick the best chance to survive. All in all, leave it alone from the others and don't pay it any special attention. Best of luck to you!
roll.png

I'm glad she is improving. I think that the food and electrolytes gave her the boost that she needed. I would still treat immediately for coccidiosis...it doesn't just go away. All have been exposed and need treatment also.
The pullet is improving! I cant believe it. Yesterday morning I picked her up thinking she was dead until I noticed a slow blink of the eyes. I gave her electrolyte water and some mashed feed through a syringe a couple of times yesterday up until bed time. I woke up this morning and she is standing and eating solid food. Still puffed up a bit, but I really did not expect her to make it through yesterday, much less the night. I stil dont think she is out of the woods, but am glad to see improvement. She is seperated and the rest of the flock seems to be doing fine, eating drinking, fun in the yard last evening, etc. So, I have no idea what it is or was. How long should I keep her quarantined if she continues to improve? Would it be possible she survived coccidiousis and the others were not infected? Maybe it was something less serious. Anyway,THANK YOU ALL for all the above suggestions. We are new to chickens and with just a backyard flock of 9 chickens I hate to loss one or worse all of them.

Thanks again folks! Finished the Corid treatment on Thursday. All chicks alive and seem to be doing well. I was curious, how do you now if the coccidiousis has been treated? I noticed some reddish brown poo today(Sunday). Do I treat again? or wait and see if there are other signs. It sounds funny but I guess Im not sure what healthy chicken poo looks like
tongue.png
, or when to be alarmed

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom