Sick duck? Help!

If it has been a few days, a flush may not be much help - the activated charcoal, definitely.

Also could be advanced infection. In which case antibiotics needed.

On my way now, niacin too??
found this info so if she can swallow it may not be a toxin or botulism.

Botulism
Symptoms: loss of muscular control of legs, wings and neck - hence the term limber-neck. Birds are unable to swallow.
Cause: toxins produced by bacteria (Clostridia) in decaying animal and vegetable waste. The toxins cause the problem.
Treatment: avoid problems by keeping ducks out of muddy/dirty areas and stagnant pools, especially in hot weather. The bacteria multiply rapidly in warmer temperatures in anaerobic conditions (where oxygen is excluded). Give affected birds fresh drinking water. If necessary, introduce water into the mouth and throat with a syringe (no needle). A crop tube could be used with the advice of a vet. Add Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate, available from the high street chemist) to the water. This is an old remedy which is still used. Recommended amounts vary from 1 tablespoon in one cup of water to 1 ounce per 50 fluid oz ( two and a half pints) of water.

still won't hurt to have the activated charcoal and the niacin on hand

Is she eating and drinking? is there any swelling on her body? how does her poop look?

Make sure to be careful with her around water since she could easily drown not being in control of her head.

Last edited:
She just had a grass green stool, she is drinking mostly, a couple bites of food periodically. She is having a hard time with her head.. She can swing it around but not hold it up.. If birds have a broken neck can they still do these things?

She just had a grass green stool, she is drinking mostly, a couple bites of food periodically. She is having a hard time with her head.. She can swing it around but not hold it up.. If birds have a broken neck can they still do these things?
I don't think they would be able to swallow. I don't think she'd be able to move her head at all if it was broken. Do you think she has some kind of injury could something have fallen on her? I believe I'd do the flush it won't hurt to try it just be sure to go by the directions. see if it helps. Other than a vet we're just grasping at straws trying to figure this out.

Doesn't sound like a broken neck - sounds like something internal. I would consider an oral or injectable antibiotic. A vet would be best, and I understand not always manageable.

Back
Top Bottom