Sick Eye Swollen, Bumpy, almost Closed/Blind! Pls Identify (pic attached/in media)

Agreed, I think she has dry pox. Look inside her mouth and throat with a light to see if she has any yellow spots or lesions of wet pox.I would continue the antibiotic since the pox lesions are all around her eyes, and secondary bacterial infections from things like staph, E.coli and mycoplasma, can cause eye infection and possibly blindness. Take a look at this article about pox and eye infections: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/195/fowl-pox/

Wyorp Rock and Eggcessive... Lots of good info!! Thank you so much!!! I'll check the inside of her mouth in the morning and see if there are any lesions/etc going on in there. I'll keep up the antibiotics too. Update to come...

Hi Everyone,
I got locked out of my BYC account from trying the wrong password too many times yesterday so I wasn't able to update... Ok, so I have made calls all over the place trying to find the eye ointment without luck. I am still using the antibiotic in her water. Mable was doing well in the dog crate yesterday. Today BOTH eyes are closed (what looks to be) completely by all the bumps. :( I checked her mouth yesterday and there were no lesions or redness... just a pale pink mouth. She's having a lot of trouble eating as she keeps missing the distance of the food and the crossbeak isn't helping. I will be washing eyes with saline. If it's Fowl Pox Dry, how long do you guys think until these bumps start to diminish? At least a little bit? About 4 weeks to bounce completely back to normal, right? I just want her to be able to see something at least to eat. I love her even if she's ugly. I'm not noticing anything in the rest of the flock. Any help at all is appreciated!! Thank you!!
WP_20170915_13_41_20_Pro[1].jpg
WP_20170915_13_42_32_Pro[1].jpg
WP_20170915_13_42_33_Pro[1].jpg

Mix up some wet feed, raw or cooked egg, and a lot of water, and see if you can get her to eat it out of a small bowl held up to her beak. The water in the food can help keep her hydrated, but fresh water should be offered as well. Do this several times a day or as often as possible. You might also try calling around for Vetropolycin ointment, Neo-poly-dex, or Vetricyn eye gel. The Vetropolycin may be found online and is equivalent to Neosporin eye ointment.

Last edited:
Thank you Eggcessive! I will try the food mixture. Good idea. Can I use Neosporin on her face? Near, but not in, her eye? I'm thinking just the basic original antibiotic ointment Neosporin, not the kind for pain. She must have scratched one of her big bumps on her right eye because she's bleeding a bit on one of them. But, that eye is now open a bit so at least she can see... maybe? I suspect in the morning, however, it will be closed again. Weird, but in the morning the eyes always appear so much worse than the previous day. Today is the first time an eye actually looked a little better later in the day but maybe it's just because she was scratching at it? Maybe saline will help wash the bloody area. I held her a bit and walked around the yard with her prior to her scratching her right eye. She seemed content and then wanted to get down and walk around. Poor thing couldn't see where she was going tho. :( Thanks again everybody!!!

I have used plain neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment in the eyes of a chicken who got her eye pecked by another. Ideally, I would use an eye ointment such as sterile Terramycin or Vetromycin, but my chicken did well with the plain topical neosporin. Eyes can become swollen overnight just due to gravity, just as when you wake up with puffy eyes.

Back
Top Bottom