Sick hen- Respiratory illness???

FWIW, it's okay to give Safeguard (fenbendazole) and Corid at the same time. :D Neither drug lists the other as a drug interaction, and I have treated quite a few with both at the same time, and usually it's both for five consecutive days.

-Kathy

I have the Wazine, and my mom is going to pick up the Corrid today. It says on the Wazine to take away the water for the night then put the medicated water in in the morning. I couldn't do that last night because I had school and couldn't get up that early. So I will most likely do it tonight, or rather, tomorrow morning. And I can put them both in the water at the same time, right? That's what you were getting at right Kathy? So far the only bird looking relatively sick is my other California white, Scarlet. She has the heavy-ish breathing and the puffed up feathers, and the all-around 'sick' look to her, but she doesn't have the drooling/puking or the diarrhea, that I know of. some of my other birds' poop is looking rather ..,.weird. I'm guessing it's because they have coccidiosis.... I really hope I get rid o rit in time, so no other of my birds die.

I have the Wazine, and my mom is going to pick up the Corrid today. It says on the Wazine to take away the water for the night then put the medicated water in in the morning.  I couldn't do that last night because I had school and couldn't get up that early.  So I will most likely do it tonight, or rather, tomorrow morning.  And I can put them both in the water at the same time, right?  That's what you were getting at right Kathy? So far the only bird looking relatively sick is my other California white, Scarlet.  She has the heavy-ish breathing and the puffed up feathers, and the all-around 'sick' look to her, but she doesn't have the drooling/puking or the diarrhea, that I know of.  some of my other birds' poop is looking rather ..,.weird.  I'm guessing it's because they have coccidiosis.... I really hope I get rid o rit in time, so no other of my birds die.  

I would not mix the two medications in the water. The wormer I use is Safeguard, not Wazine. Can you have you mom pick up a bottle of Safeguard for goats?

-Kathy

I would not mix the two medications in the water. The wormer I use is Safeguard, not Wazine. Can you have you mom pick up a bottle of Safeguard for goats?

-Kathy

I had my dad look but I don't think he could find it...If I can't get it should I just treat for Cocci first then treat for worms after?

Quote: Might be best to do as @TwoCrows suggested here:
For now, get what ever wormer they have at the feed store. Most stuff is not labeled for chickens that are used for eggs or meat, but all drugs do break down in the system after certain periods of time. Most wormers have a 14 day egg and meat withdrawal. Let me know which wormer you got and I will give you the dosage for it.

Do your best with keeping that particular bird warm. If you can't bring her inside and can't use a heat lamp, there isn't much else you can do. Make sure she stays snuggled in with the other birds on the roost bar and not on an end where she might get cold by herself.

Adding new birds to a flock always poses a risk to the original flock. All birds carry something. They become immune to their environment and there are many bacterias, virus's and parasites that chickens encounter in their world. So by bringing in new birds, you are introducing new things to the original flock that they are not yet immune to. It is always best to quarantine all new birds for 30 days before mixing in the flock. And always know where these new birds are coming from, how they were raised, how they were cared for, etc....Purchasing birds from a stranger can be risky business. Not worth the disease you can bring into your flock.

You will need to worm all your birds and use the cocci meds on all of them as well. When one is sick with something, chances are the others have it too.

I would keep all rooster away from any sick birds. Doesn't do a sick hen any good to have a rooster trying to mate her. Then divide up your flock so that there is 1 rooster for 8 to 10 hens. If you don't have enough hens to go around for these roosters, then keep them in a separate place by themselves. You can't have too many roosters with not enough hens or they will kill them with over mating them. Lots of people keep "bachelor" quarters for their extra roosters.

And here:
I am so sorry you lost her.
hugs.gif
If one is dying of similar issues, as described above, you may have one or both issues going on. Either worms, they have cocci or both. If these were my birds, I would first worm them all and then start them on some Corid.

The desired ratio of rooster to hen is 1 roo to 8 to 10 hens. If too many roosters are breeding too little hens or just one of them, they WILL kill the hen or hens from over breeding.

Keep these birds warm under some heat right now and get to the feed store for some wormer. (DE is useless for internal worms) Get some Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer, if they don't have that, you can use the Safeguard Equine Paste, even Wazine will work. Also, pick up something with Amprolium in it for the Coccidiosis. Corid contains this drug.

And keep the roosters away from the hens for a while, at least all the sick ones.

Ok I have the Corid stuff. I'm not sure how much to put in for my birds. I have 38 chickens, and the waterer holds 3 gallons I think, but id have to check. How much Corid per gallon? I also only have wazine. We checked twice for Safeguard goat wormer but they didnt have any. So I think I'll just worm them afterwards. Do I have to wait a while after they're done being treated for Cocci before I can work them, or can I do it the day after the five days are up? And how long should I wait to collect eggs that I can eat? Like, how long should I throw out any eggs I get?

Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid per gallon of water, mixed daily for 5 days. Then give everyone some poultry vitamins in the water, and some probiotics or a little plain yogurt for several days. That helps to improve the gut bacteria and replace lost vitamins. After that it would be okay to worm them. Valbazen is a very good one.

Ok. I just finished with the corid yesterday. Last night I gave them water with probiotics and electrolytes in it. I'm probably going to do that tonight as well. Would it be ok to start worming them Saturday night?

Oh, and also, on Wednesday night when I was refilling their water I accidentally only used 2 teaspoons of corid with 2 gallons of water instead of 4 teaspoons. Will that affect the overall outcome of the treatment(i.e. not as effective?)?

The wormer I got is Wazine. How much should I use for 2 gallons of water? And for how long? Scarlet, the other sick California white, still looks sick, and is getting worse. She has diarrhea now. And I don't know what to do...I saw her drink the water when it had corid in it, and she's still eating, just not very much. I hope she holds out until I worm them. I'm hoping she just has worms and she'll get better........I'll post a picture of her tonight if anyone wants. She looks kind of bad right now(not just because she's sick) because she got pooped on and I don't want to wash it off in this cold of weather. I would do it in the house and wait until she is fully dried except the house is much warmer than outside, and it would be hard for her to adjust. And it's not that they don't have enough roosting space. There's plenty. It's just that all the hens want to crowd up by the main rooster, and he sits on a roost above the roof of some of the nesting boxes, and the roof is flat so whatever hens want to sit up there when there isn't enough room on the roost sit on the top of the nest boxes, and get pooped on sometimes.

If you only mixed the Corid wrong one time, I doubt it will have any effect. I think you are fine there.

As for the Wazine, get it going ASAP. 1 ounce in a gallon of water. Let them drink this for 2 or 3 days. Change it daily as well. Then get them on probiotics to help build up the immune system.

Keep the sickest birds as warm as possible. And keep us posted!!

Back
Top Bottom