Sick hen- Respiratory illness???

Ok I have the Corid stuff. I'm not sure how much to put in for my birds. I have 38 chickens, and the waterer holds 3 gallons I think, but id have to check. How much Corid per gallon? I also only have wazine. We checked twice for Safeguard goat wormer but they didnt have any. So I think I'll just worm them afterwards. Do I have to wait a while after they're done being treated for Cocci before I can work them, or can I do it the day after the five days are up? And how long should I wait to collect eggs that I can eat? Like, how long should I throw out any eggs I get?

You *can* use Corid and Safeguard at the same time, but you probably don't want to use Corid and Wazine at the same time. Not because it's dangerous, but because it make them want to drink less.

-Kathy

Thanks. In the future I'm either going to buy Valbazen(spelling?) or Safeguard goat wormer, because I heard that Wazine isn't a very broad-spectrum wormer. I'll probably switch out between the Wazine and the other wormer I decide to get so the worms don't become immune to that particular wormer. Can worms cause respiratory illness-like symptoms? And also, her poop seems clear and watery. Some of the other birds look like they may?? have worms in their poop, but it might just be pieces of reddish cat food. I have cat food that some get into for my barn cats. And one of my pullets that my hen hatched out this year figured out that there's cat food up at the house, so she comes up to the house and eats some of it everyday. So it might be that. I'll check more closely tonight. So, I should start with the wormer tonight? Do I have to take out their waterer for the night or anything? Or should I just dump out the water and put in the Wazine and fresh water right away? And will electolytes also help after I've wormed them? Because at the moment I have a lot of electrolytes and only a little bit of probiotics left. I'll see if my mom can pick up some poultry vitamins and probiotics when she picks up grit and oyster shells. Thanks everyone.

Wazine only takes care of Round Worms. And while these are the most common of worm, there are certainly many others that cause issues or can kill your birds.

I use the Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer. It takes care of nearly all worms including some species of tape worms.

Worms can cause them to breath heavy and if they have any restrictions or nasal sounds, you will definitely hear these when the bird is breathing heavy. However they can have worms and a respiratory ailment at the same time. Usually this includes runny noses, watery or gummy eyes, wheezing, coughing, etc... Fungal infections of the lungs however won't make a sound but they will still breath heavily.

Lots of ailments will have them breathing like they have a respiratory ailment. I would get them wormed and get the Corid in them and see if things don't clear up. You can always head to the antibacterial meds after that.

Did I ever tell you about my peachick with aspergillosis? It had all the classic signs of a bacterial respiratory infection... runny eyes and nares, congestion, labored breathing, depression, etc. UC Davis necropsy found aspergillosis.

-Kathy

Thanks. I don't think my hen has a respiratory illness, because both(Scarlet, and the one who died, Little Sebastian) hens didn't have runny noses, sneezing, coughing, or watery or gummy eyes. She has like a drooling issue, though. Not as bad as the first hen's, but it's still there. Could that be caused by the worms? Scarlet has the same exact symptoms as Little Sebastian did, and they are the same breed too. I don't know if I will be getting California whites again. They're nice and all, but they seem to have way more issues than all the other breeds I have. They get vent gleet more often, and they don't seem to do well in the heat. At least mine didn't. Not that it gets overly hot where I live. But upper 80's is still rather high. If after I treat them for worms with Wazine, and they're still not better, and I still suspect worms, should I find a better, broad-spectrum wormer and treat them with that? Or should I try an antibacterial med first?

They can get capillary worms in their esophagus and crop, so it's possible that could cause you to see excess mucus in the mouth.

This poop is from a 3 year old hen that almost died. Fecal confirmed coccidiosis and capillary worms

What type of wormer should I get to treat capillary worms? That might be what she has. And since I'm pretty sure Wazine doesn't treat capillary worms(right?), should I just skip it for now, or worm them with Wazine and then after that worm them with something that get's rid of capillary worms?

What type of wormer should I get to treat capillary worms?  That might be what she has.  And since I'm pretty sure Wazine doesn't treat capillary worms(right?), should I just skip it for now, or worm them with Wazine and then after that worm them with something that get's rid of capillary worms?  

You could worm them with the Wazine while you're trying to find some Safeguard liquid for goats or paste for horses, then worm them again with Safeguard.

-Kathy

I went out there this morning to take care of them and on the top of the nest boxes I found poop that looks filled with worms.

I'm not sure what type they are. If anyone knows please tell me. And can humans get them? Abd what type of wormer I should use to get rid of them. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom