Sick hen

I saw them around the neck. Didn’t look anywhere else. But I did treat her around the neck, back near tail, under wings and on her underside near the neck.

She's probably just recovering from the mites. How severe were they?
Not many. Was just surprised to see them. The hens are pretty good at catching them or dealing with them. I suppose it could be the age. But I checked the other Marans and they didn’t have any.

Usually mites start at the vent and move towards the head. That would explain why she's shaking her head. Mites typically drink the chickens blood so she would be acting anemic due to blood loss. I would treat your whole flock for mites and quarantine that one bird with food and water. You could also give her some cooked eggs and treat type food to try and get her to eat.
Last time I found a chicken with mites all the way to her neck she didn't make it. Hopfully yours will.

Ok just saw her do a poo. Looks like a bit of blood? But it’s mostly hard and a greenish colour. Also checked all the hens for mites but couldn’t see anything. Will check the hens vent shortly.

Attachments

• IMG_5140.jpeg
    IMG_5140.jpeg
    751 KB · Views: 2
Does she still lay eggs? At her age, cancer, salpingitis or other reproductive disorders are common. Is her crop filling up normally by evening, and then emptying by morning? Is it large or flat? How does it feel this am? What does her poop look like in a picture? Does she have any swelling of her lower belly between the legs? Has she lost weight? Is her tail position up or down? Can you take her aside and offer some moistened chicken feed and scrambled egg, and perhaps give some Poultry NutriDrench orally?
I didn’t see any swelling. Poop is green with some blood. She doesn’t look too thin.

Attachments

• IMG_5140.jpeg
    IMG_5140.jpeg
    751 KB · Views: 2
Ok she’s been getting better for the last few days, with Thet crest looking a bit better. She’s spent today in the coop where j thought she was laying, but she’s taken a turn for the worst. I took her kind and she’s a bit unstable on her feet. She is also expelling wet green poo. Any thoughts?

Maybe some sort of Poultry NutriDrench. Other than that I'm not sure. Sorry I can't help more.

Her urates which normally is the white cap on droppings look yellow. That can be a sign of liver problems related to ascites (water belly,) reproductive disorder, or cancer. The green poop is showing that she is not eating much.

I would offer a small amount of her usual balanced chicken feed moistened with a little water, and some scrambled egg bits. She need balanced layer or all flock feed, not corn and grains. Some poultry NutriDrench might be good 2 ml orally for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom