Sick OEGB Pullet! Protruding breast-bone, weak, will only take fluids!

LostGosling

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Hi!

My little pullet Tooie is very ill. I don't even know if she'll be alive by tomorrow.
hit.gif
She's been losing weight and depressed for about a week(ever since it dropped off into the teens and then back up to almost 60), and now she can barely stand. I thought she was lonely, since she perked right up after I put her back with her hatch mates, but now that doesn't even help. She won't eat solids now(except for little crumbs of dirt off the kitchen floor) and has diarrea. Mom brought her in the house this morning cuz she was huddled in the corner with her head tucked. Her feet wouldn't warm up even after being carried around for a half hour(yeah, it's cold again. Bye-bye 60s) She's in a warm cage in the kitchen(near our wood stove), and all she does is lay around. She's also very pale, but I guess that's normal for her age of pullet. All my others were pale as youngsters. As a feeble attempt to get her some nourishment, I mixed Quicko Bird Multivitamin with some suger and heavy whipping cream. She loved it, and drank most of what was in the dixie cup(about a half inch). She even walked around the kitchen and protested when I put her back in her cozy spot. I don't know if it's in her genetics(Her father is extremely sweet, and her mother crows. Her egg jumped from nest to nest about 3 times toward the end of incubation cuz the first broody abandoned it. Then she had to be box raised on DuMor.) or what, but she's going down hill quick. Can anybody tell me what is wrong with her? Could it be Fowl Cholera(Nobody else has it, could she be the only case?)?
hu.gif
She's very special to me, and I really don't want to lose her.
hit.gif

Last edited:
How's your little pullet today? I just saw your post, and although I really don't know what could be causing her malady, I'm hoping someone else might be able to help. Can you add info - her age, what she's been eating (IS she eating), is she drinking...anything else that might help us help you.
hugs.gif

Whenever youngsters are ill I always assume cocci right off the bat. Could that be a possibility? Blood is not always present in the poops of overloaded birds. When the blood finally shows up it is often very advanced.

Thank-you guys for your responses, but I lost her.
hit.gif
I don't know what was wrong with her, but she stopped taking the fluids over night. When she eliminated, it smelled awful, and grandma made me put her back out cuz she was causing the whole kitchen to wreak. Her droppings were very runny, and mostly clear with green and white swirls. I went to town, bought baby food, wet cat food, and baby cerial to maybe entice some nutrition into her, but when I came home, she was dead.
Nobody else caught it, and there haven't been any more cases.
I'm almost afraid to set Kazzoie(the mother) on some more eggs this year, cuz I'm afraid I'll lose them all from the same thing.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom