Sick rooster ; droopy wings , no eating , BRIGHT GREEN POOP (FOR PAST 2-3 DAYS)

demonic

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
New York
Hi I have a rooster and today he is very sick. The last 2-3 days we weren’t paying attention to chickens because of New Years and guests and stuff like that. We saw he wasn’t eating a lot but didn’t think much of it. Today he doesn’t leave the coop, can’t stand up(if he does he sits back down after a minute) and has droopy wings and legs. His comb and wattle which is usually a radiant bright red is now a little paler. We administered Vitamin E to him when he was so weak and couldn’t even fight back, in which it seemed he got a little more energy because he fought a little when we syringe fed him electrolytes. He is now in a dog crate sleeping. His tail is also down. He barely moves. yesterday when all my roosters were crowing, he wasn’t. What could’ve happened? Could he have caught a cold and therefore didn’t eat? Could he have ate my hens calcium and oyster shells and there fore is now having problems? Please let me know. Sorry for bad photo quality.

Attachments

• 06B499B7-C091-4C48-B637-2F60AB872424.jpeg
    06B499B7-C091-4C48-B637-2F60AB872424.jpeg
    431.5 KB · Views: 28
By the way my other chickens are acting fine. It’s just him. Also, he is a 5 month old Black Jersey Giant. And yes, he has crowed before. He was the first rooster to crow.

Last edited:
How does his crop feel? Can you find any parasites or wounds on him? Has he ever been wormed? What does he eat?
His crop feels fine, it’s just empty because he doesn’t eat. No parasites or wounds that I’m aware of. He never has been wormed. He eats the same layer food my hens do. If you want to see what his poop looks like, he hasn’t pooped yet. He just now woke up and looks more alert and responds and looks at me if I wave my hand, so that’s a plus.

He just pooped a bright green liquid.. and is that a worm or something in it??

Attachments

• 76A22D8F-416C-47FC-AA1A-3BEEFF5BC675.jpeg
    76A22D8F-416C-47FC-AA1A-3BEEFF5BC675.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 13
Update: He had some kind of seizure and died :(
So sorry to hear that. Sometimes you will never know that your bird is sick, they will leave it until the very last minute to display signs of illness. At that point there is not much you can do. Sorry for your loss :hugs

OMG! I'm so sorry! This happened to our favorite Polish hen, Q-tip, some years ago. She was looking unhappy and chilled. We brought her in the house, and she went to stand by the wood stove. About 20 mins later, she had a seizure. I picked her up, but had no idea how to help her. She died very quickly. It was awful! I wonder if there is some bug, that they don't have id'd yet. Anyway, I'm so sorry! What a tragedy!

Back
Top Bottom