Sick, weak duck, what is wrong, what treatment?

This a great post, and very helpful to me. I have a sick Ancona Drake, weak, can't walk, but still eating and drinking. I started him on an antibacterial in his water, have been doing the baths, feeding him chick starter. He seems to be a little better. I'll get some charcoal and niacin today and see if It helps. Thanks again!
Let us know how he is.
fl.gif

i need help please my duck echo is sick and not really walking good it sounds like the same thing someone else had posted i need to know how much epsom salt n yogurt honey water and what else you did or if anyone can help me save our family duck please respond

please help me if you can my duck echo is acting the same way what all did you do to help your duck and how much did you mix before your duck started getting better please help me save my duck

I just mixed about a teaspoon of honey into a half cup of plain yoghurt. I think I used about a teaspoon of epsom salts to a bucket of water. Only give the epsom salts for a day, then give fresh clean water. You can also put a couple of drops of condies crystals (potassium permanganate - available from a pharmacy) into your duck's drinking water - a day or so after the epsom salts, not at the same time - the water should be just tinted the palest of pink. Again give only for a day, then give lots of fresh clean water. Encourage your duck to eat - mash up some tomatoes and crush a clove or two of garlic into it. Garlic is a natural antibiotic which will help kill any bacterial infections, and if a worm infestation is causing your duck's illness garlic will also kill the worms. It's a good idea to feed garlic to your duck every 3 months or so, just as a general routine to keep him/her healthy.
Be patient and tend your duck daily. It could be a week before you see improvement. Sometimes they will get to their feet but still limp for several days. Their little feet actually quiver under the strain of standing up, but getting to their feet is a sign that they are on the mend. Keep treating the duck through this time with the garlic, and an occasional drop of condies crystals in the water for a day, but don't give the epsom salts again.
Hope your duck gets well soon. Keep us posted.

My duck is having a similar problem. He is a muscovy he is about 4 months old. He is laying kind of flat like he got trampled, but he did not. He tries to waddle but it is a strange waddle kind of flat to the ground more like pulling himself along. Sometimes he leg gets stuck to his wing and is pulling his feathers off. Any ideas? It has been super super hot here 100 degrees all week with 100 percent humidity, don't know if that has something to do with it? I have separated him and gave him his own water dish, he did drink some and would only eat some bread, which is odd. Any ideas.....would be helpful..I am new to ducks and want to do everything possible for him. Thanks

My duck is having a similar problem. He is a muscovy he is about 4 months old. He is laying kind of flat like he got trampled, but he did not. He tries to waddle but it is a strange waddle kind of flat to the ground more like pulling himself along. Sometimes he leg gets stuck to his wing and is pulling his feathers off. Any ideas? It has been super super hot here 100 degrees all week with 100 percent humidity, don't know if that has something to do with it? I have separated him and gave him his own water dish, he did drink some and would only eat some bread, which is odd. Any ideas.....would be helpful..I am new to ducks and want to do everything possible for him. Thanks
That's really a lot of heat and humidity, and it could be causing it, is he your only duck if not how are the rest acting. Always make sure they have a way to get out of the heat, with lots of fresh water even using ice cubes if need be. and a way to get into water to help cool off. Bread isn't very nutritious but if you can get some electrolytes or poultry Nutri Drench and put into his drinking water that may help. Have you examined him real close looked at his feet legs felt for any unusual heat or swelling? How long has this been going on? also check the bottoms of his feet also.

The rest of the flock is fine. I have a baby swimming pool with water fountain not always the cleanest, I change it twice daily but still they like mud. I have been putting frozen large milk bottles in with my rabbits, maybe I should do this to the duck pool, stand them in the middle. Do you think they will get injured by them? It just started maybe 2 hours ago.

I do have a shade canopy over their pen, I don't like this sun either.
That is dangerous heat and humidity for sure, I know how hard it is to keep water clean, if you don't have any electrolytes or poultry vitamins right now put some Apple Cider Vinegar in his water, it does have some medicinal properties to it, better to use Un pasteurized but plain will do in a pinch 2 Tab to 1 gallon of water. But I would dif pick some electrolytes to keep him hydrated. or the Nutri Drench. Could have eaten something toxic? plants/ dead animal ? does he have control of his head and neck? Keep him as cool as possible. I'd put some frozen jugs in their pool don't see how they could injure themselves unless they jumped on them. speaking of which could he have jumped down off of something that was too high?
Just in case you suspect toxins, these flushes have to be carried out to the T. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

Last edited:
He is alert, eyes clear, no problems with head,looks completely normal, just walking with belly to ground. I did put Since I put him in the garage with fans he is drinking and eating. If he still is under the weather tomarrow I have an avian vet right down the road I think we'll pop in for a visit.

Back
Top Bottom