Sick, weak duck, what is wrong, what treatment?

UEGENT! now she has horrible diarrhea !! It's everywhere !! Is that from the Epsom salt in her water..one table spoon per one cup right??? NOW WHAT??

Yes it is from the Epsom salt and that is ok.. You CAN mix epsom salt in the water for duck tummy problems... Here is the link from liveducks.com

Botulism
Symptoms: Loss of muscular control of legs, wings and neck, sometimes called limberneck. Birds are unable to swallow.
Cause: Toxins produced by Clostridia bacteria in decaying animal and vegetable waste. Avoid problems by keeping ducks out of muddy/dirty areas, and stagnant water, especially in hot weather. Bacteria multiply rapidly in warmer temperatures with anaerobic conditions (no oxygen).
Treatment: Give affected birds fresh drinking water. If necessary, introduce water into the mouth and throat. A crop tube could be used with the advice of a vet. Add Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) to the water. Recommended amounts vary from 1 tablespoon in one cup of water to 1 ounce per 50 fluid oz (2½ pints) of water.

chickensducksandagoose,

So very sorry to hear that your duck died... that is awful news for you.

Carol_af, so very pleased for you that your duck has recovered!

Unfortunately - life has it's up's and down's - thinking of you both

Some we win and some we lose....

I have had some awful losses here and also many highs when one of mine hatch some new life....

Suzie

p.s. It is worthwhile thinking about how they have enhanced our lives - would we have forgone the pleasure of their company...? We and they give unconditionally it is a mutual love...! Take consolation that they were ours....

So sry about your lose.
sad.png
she/he is now in a happier place...free of pain... Now thi worries me, unwinds if my girl is in pain? It's been over two weeks and no change...unable to walk, or stand..swims side wys...one side completely submerged... but on the other hand..super social...eating , drinking ...not lethargic, very pink mouth and tongue...loads of leg movement...what should I do ???

have you thought about a vet visit? I know they can be expensive but when you've done all you can maybe it's the only thing left. so sorry to hear you duck died cd&g
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom