<sigh> Freeloaders

I used to threaten mine by moving the grill closer to the coop every day. One finally got the message and now I get an egg a day
smile.png

Spoiled rotten little brats, aren't they!?!

My Dad calls my ladies "welfare chickens".
roll.png
He also calls the cats "welfare cats" but then I remind him that they kill the mice.
barnie.gif

I think mine went on strike
idunno.gif
( even before laying any ) till the big run was done ... was not till today that I had one do the sqat for me ( we put them in the big run for the 1st time on sunday)

I have tried bribing them ... telling them hubby wants something in his frying pan ... even sending several roo's to frezzer camp
and nothing
he.gif
... so I really think they talked it over and wanted the big run 1st
gig.gif

I would try the grafts and charts or recipe's might work

Quote:
When I talked DH into getting chickens his response was "well at least they're useful pets"
Good thing I'm getting plenty of eggs!

Two of mine took longer than the rest, and one I was seriously beginning to wonder if she would EVER lay (about a month later than the rest) but they're all good layers now.
Patience is so hard!

Same here - wonderful life...new coop....24.5 weeks (not that I'm counting, mind you!!) and NO EGGS......pffft.

I was thinking the red sex-links ought to have started by now......the cochins and silkies maybe a little later......the sebright I've already given a free pass cause she's just so darn cute and fun, and her teeny eggs won't amount to much ever anyway.

Think I'm gonna let my sex-links in the house so they can see that I actually do have an oven in here.....(ok, I'm bluffing-lol).

so I go grocery shopping and get into the driveway and every one of the chickens rushed the truck. The roosters were grumbling..."no snack todaY?" And I said "No egg today?' So they smiled at me, and got some cottage cheese. Then I fixed 'em. Gave them some Trix. Didn't know what to do with them til they were pecking at them and the Trix fell apart. Got some old Raisen Bran...can't wait till tomorrow.
lol.png

One problem many newbies have is too much snacks for chickens. It cuts protien way down and protien is what helps makes eggs. So if your egg layer is 16% protien and you are feeding low protien snacks it lowers your overall protien. Find a higher protien egg layer for one or feed some cat food as a treat instead of other stuff. That should kick start egg laying. Dry cat food as a treat will increase protien if you can not find a higher protien egg layer. Purinina flock raiser is 20% and easy to find. Cut out all snacks for a bit till you get protine up. Once up you can slowly add other stuff but just a bit.

Last edited:
I just gained some more freeloaders. 5 to be exact. (3 1/2 week old chicks)

So......................I only have about 17-21 weeks to go until 2 of them pay their way. The other 3 are roosters, so there's no hope of them laying an egg.

See, your wait doesn't seem so long now, does it?
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom