Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I am trying to get my pens organized and was thinking instead of having a BBS just do Splash and Blue because I want to avoid blacks in that pen. I have another pen with strictly blacks. So will it be better to have a Splash roo even though the color might dilute over time (can always breed back to black) or add a blue roo (knowing i might get 25% to get black)?
I am doing the same. I believe Black would be the recommended choice. True blacks though, are difficult to find. I have a lovely BBS Black cockerel, but I don't particularly want to use him in my BBS pen. I would rather hold out for a SUPER nice TRUE black roo.

I am doing the same. I believe Black would be the recommended choice. True blacks though, are difficult to find. I have a lovely BBS Black cockerel, but I don't particularly want to use him in my BBS pen. I would rather hold out for a SUPER nice TRUE black roo.
Here is the BBS boy I was talking about. He has that nice beetle green sheen, he is big though, eats like a pig. I havent weighed him....but he is my largest cockerel. I should try test breeding him, but I am unsure if it will be a waste of time.

I am trying to get my pens organized and was thinking instead of having a BBS just do Splash and Blue because I want to avoid blacks in that pen. I have another pen with strictly blacks. So will it be better to have a Splash roo even though the color might dilute over time (can always breed back to black) or add a blue roo (knowing i might get 25% to get black)?
Sounds like you understand the trade off so I think you should go with what pleases you.
Here is the BBS boy I was talking about. He has that nice beetle green sheen, he is big though, eats like a pig. I havent weighed him....but he is my largest cockerel. I should try test breeding him, but I am unsure if it will be a waste of time.
I like him!

He is very nice.... if you don't want him he could have a good life at my place LOL

NO !

That is a pet quality bird. As far as the color...I believe someone here once said that one should NOT comment on colors one is not working with...hmmmm. Can't recall who that was. Do you remember Hawk?
Agreed on the quality-- lacking beard and crest, long back. And yes I do remember who said that we should not comment if we are not working on that color-- and it wasn't me! LOL (or anyone who's been on recently) But it really was a good point. I think the bird looks blue and I would agree with blue partridge... since I used have blue partridge. But other than that, I'm by far, not an expert on that color.
hmm.png

Hey y'all I'm in the middle of getting ready for spring( I luv spring) ; remodeling cages, picking through old birds, getting chicks, here's my new new show pen( not done yet) so excited for this year!!!!

Back
Top Bottom