Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

The chicks have hatched from my blue and splash pen, I have one that is leaving me scratching my head. Any thoughts on what color the surprise chick is? Partridge maybe? Where would that color come from?

The chicks have hatched from my blue and splash pen, I have one that is leaving me scratching my head. Any thoughts on what color the surprise chick is? Partridge maybe? Where would that color come from?

Partrige, and this is what happens when you aren't sure of the background of the birds you are working with. I would set up pens with a blue rooster over splash girls and a splash rooster over blue girls--being careful that they are all meeting SOP as close as possible. I would never just throw them all together and see what you get. By doing blue X splash you will keep better color. I personally would never breed black into my blue/splash unless you really had good reason for it and have worked it out. There have been lots of discussions that the only best blacks come from black X black only. I had a hen (she died a couple weeks ago) that was blue, but you'd never know it. She looked black and even had a sheen to her. But she threw splash. In which case she'd have been great for a washed out splash roo that was meeting SOP, but not good for a black pen and not good for a blue X blue breeding. I think she became egg bound, which kills me, I had big plans for her this year. I got a lot of really great chicks out of her bred to a Splash that was a bit diluted and the chicks came in with better coloring-- nice dark spots. I'm working my pens differently-- same splash X blue, but I'm going to be working in trios or pairs this year to try to set up birds that will offset or bring out qualities that I'm wanting. I have a LOT of great boys right now and a pen full of girls that are looking pretty good.

Just because they look black does not mean they are.

Last edited:
Quote: If he is way over, you can use him to breed with girls that are way under the weight standard, or to start a largefowl silkie project (
lol.png
)

Partrige, and this is what happens when you aren't sure of the background of the birds you are working with. I would set up pens with a blue rooster over splash girls and a splash rooster over blue girls--being careful that they are all meeting SOP as close as possible. I would never just throw them all together and see what you get. By doing blue X splash you will keep better color. I personally would never breed black into my blue/splash unless you really had good reason for it and have worked it out. There have been lots of discussions that the only best blacks come from black X black only. I had a hen (she died a couple weeks ago) that was blue, but you'd never know it. She looked black and even had a sheen to her. But she threw splash. In which case she'd have been great for a washed out splash roo that was meeting SOP, but not good for a black pen and not good for a blue X blue breeding. I think she became egg bound, which kills me, I had big plans for her this year. I got a lot of really great chicks out of her bred to a Splash that was a bit diluted and the chicks came in with better coloring-- nice dark spots. I'm working my pens differently-- same splash X blue, but I'm going to be working in trios or pairs this year to try to set up birds that will offset or bring out qualities that I'm wanting. I have a LOT of great boys right now and a pen full of girls that are looking pretty good.

Just because they look black does not mean they are.
I'm sorry that you lost your hen. She was a pretty girl.
hugs.gif

I only have a blue roo and a couple black cockerels, no splash boys. I am not breeding the blacks yet either. I've got 5 blue hens and 2 splash hens. How are you supposed to know the backround of birds that are purchased as chicks or youngsters, other than what the breeder tells you? All of my birds are from reputable breeders.
I have 4 hens that recently starting laying, so these are the first chicks from them. These are also the first chicks from this rooster as well. So, I have alot of firsts in this pen.

Hey y'all I'm in the middle of getting ready for spring( I luv spring) ; remodeling cages, picking through old birds, getting chicks, here's my new new show pen( not done yet) so excited for this year!!!!
Very nice!

I have a dark blue hen that I know is carrying partridge genes. I use her in my blue partridge project.

Back
Top Bottom